Canon 60d AF not working in view finder but works in live view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReVolve_1

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016
Hi! I have a Canon 60d and I realized that the AF motor might have issues. I'm not quite sure what the issue is. I can use the 18-55 lens with no problem. But when I try using a 50mm f1.8 or a 35mm f2 the AF doesn't seem to work in the viewfinder. It just makes slight tweak sounds like its trying to focus but it can't. Weird thing is that when I switch to live view the AF works for the 50mm and the 35mm lens. This left me to wonder that maybe the lens might have an error. I tried using the 50mm and 35mm lens on my Canon T5 and it seems to work perfectly. So I'm not sure if there just an in compatibility with the prime lens with the 60d because they are EF lens made for full frame. I'm not sure if the 60d doesn't function with full frame lens. My T5 is a crop sensor and it works with them so I'm very confused about what the issue is. Help me out! Thank You!

Solution
Sounds more like user error than anything else. I suggest you check your manual and check how the camera AF differs. Most likely you're just shooting something that can't be focused on with the 60D's phase shift but can with contrast detect (some types of metals, small objects, etc)
Sounds more like user error than anything else. I suggest you check your manual and check how the camera AF differs. Most likely you're just shooting something that can't be focused on with the 60D's phase shift but can with contrast detect (some types of metals, small objects, etc)

Solution

ReVolve_1

Commendable
Feb 23, 2016

Not 100% sure exactly what you mean, when in the viewfinder when I press the AF it doesn't even move all, Ive tried diff distances from the object etc and still no result. The kit lens focuses right away and its sharp and good when shot through the view finder.

Like I said, read your manual to set up the cameras properly. Most likely it's user error, but hard to tell without access to it. If you have a photographer friend, let him use it and change any settings he needs, that should tell you if there's actually an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.