Canon EOS 300D - what about Sigma?

borislav

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
In the related article I noticed that Sigma SD-9 and SD-10 are not mentioned as competition of the Canon. In my opinion the established companies on any market are trying to sell their name with the products, i.e. charge the customer for it. The name though does not take pictures (for example), neither it makes them better. The runner-up in a market, in my opinion, is the brand to choose. In the car industry, the korean cars offer most for the money (the japanese already have created their image and reputation). In the photo camera market, the Sigma SDs are pretty innovative in terms of technology.
Cheers!
Borislav

iris5u

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
I own the Canon EOS Kiss Rebel 300D & love it. I use a Sigma 28-135mm(42-203mm effective) macrozoom lens on the Canon & love that too, much more than the Canon lens,a 18-55mm,that came with the Canon. I took a brief look at the Sigma cameras online, but there were no reviews on the Sigma cameras I could find back in November when I was making my buying decisions. So I went with the Canon. It's way better than my Minolta DiMage7 in ease-of-use,functionality,picture quality,battery life,& support-software for the camera/PC interface. Yes, it is true that a name doesnt take pictures, but I would think a bigger company like Canon has more resources to develop & improve products than a smaller company like Sigma. Perhaps I'm wrong,but Canon appears to have a tighter focus on developing & integrating Optics & Electronics, than a lenses & accessories company like Sigma. I just wish there were a better selection of Canon lenses for the 300D, but that's because this is all early-adopter stuff. The selection of lenses will eventually increase.

<A HREF="mailto:iris5u@attglobal.net">iris5u@attglobal.net</A>

iris5u

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004
Finally found a review of the Sigma cameras. Glad I didnt buy one.
The autofocus seems flaky according to this review.
<A HREF="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD9/SD9A5.HTM" target="_new">http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/SD9/SD9A5.HTM</A>.
Really too bad considering all the other great-sounding features it has.

<A HREF="mailto:iris5u@attglobal.net">iris5u@attglobal.net</A>