Canon I860 will not print

Hi everyone...

I have a refurbished i860 Canon inkjet that I bought off Ebay that will not
put a drop of ink on the page. Actually, I have 2, since Canon sent me a
replacement (as well as a new print head) that also will not print. I've set
up 5 other Canons in recent months with no problems. I've swapped the
cartridges with another unit and they work there. I can't believe that I
could possible have gotten 2 printers that absolutely won't print. No ink is
being placed on the page. When I run a print head alignment, the printers
churn for a while and I get an error message. There is no tape or other
obstruction that I can see. Tech support has been kind, but they don't know
what's up. I'm about to return the swapped printer to Canon, but I thought
I'd ask around here before I chuck the other one out the door. Any ideas?
Thanks...

Dennis

Have you tried swapping the print head into another unit. Even though the
cartridges work that does not mean the printhead is fine. I am not sure but
have to assume that you tried another printer with the same USB cable and it
worked fine. So that being the truth it would mean 2 printers that have
similar problems and the cable is fine. Or the print head is clogged on both
units. I believe you can remove those and try cleaning with a little warm
water and a paper towel. Just gently dab the nozzles to clean. Someone can
correct me if that is not correct.

Regards,
John O.

"Dennis Gordon" <bixster@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Hi everyone...
>
> I have a refurbished i860 Canon inkjet that I bought off Ebay that will
> not put a drop of ink on the page. Actually, I have 2, since Canon sent me
> a replacement (as well as a new print head) that also will not print. I've
> set up 5 other Canons in recent months with no problems. I've swapped the
> cartridges with another unit and they work there. I can't believe that I
> could possible have gotten 2 printers that absolutely won't print. No ink
> is being placed on the page. When I run a print head alignment, the
> printers churn for a while and I get an error message. There is no tape or
> other obstruction that I can see. Tech support has been kind, but they
> don't know what's up. I'm about to return the swapped printer to Canon,
> but I thought I'd ask around here before I chuck the other one out the
> door. Any ideas? Thanks...
>
> Dennis

mo

"Dennis Gordon" <bixster@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<a5Tdd.15971$3g7.12551@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
> Hi everyone...
>
> I have a refurbished i860 Canon inkjet that I bought off Ebay that will not
> put a drop of ink on the page.

Dennis,

Try the nozzle test in free standing mode. On my i960 the nozzle test
is initiated by holding down the resume/reset button until the
indicator light blinks twice, then release before the light can blink
3 times. If this does not work on your i860, look in your manual
under nozzle test and there should be a small paragraph about how to
do the manual nozzle test.

This should print ink from every ink cartridge so would be a good test
to use.
Skylark

bernie

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> Hi everyone...
>
> I have a refurbished i860 Canon inkjet that I bought off Ebay that will not
> put a drop of ink on the page. Actually, I have 2, since Canon sent me a
> replacement (as well as a new print head) that also will not print. I've set
> up 5 other Canons in recent months with no problems. I've swapped the
> cartridges with another unit and they work there. I can't believe that I
> could possible have gotten 2 printers that absolutely won't print. No ink is
> being placed on the page. When I run a print head alignment, the printers
> churn for a while and I get an error message. There is no tape or other
> obstruction that I can see. Tech support has been kind, but they don't know
> what's up. I'm about to return the swapped printer to Canon, but I thought
> I'd ask around here before I chuck the other one out the door. Any ideas?
> Thanks...
>
> Dennis

Have you tried connecting the new printer to one of the machines where
you've set up the previous five printers?
Have you tried connecting any of the previous five printers to the
machine where you're having the problem?

Bernie

These were 2 brand new sealed print heads. I doubt that they could both come
out of the bags clogged, and even if they were, wouldn't I get at least a
drop or two out of some of the nozzles? Pages come out totally blank. I've
tried both USB and parallel connections, as well as running the printer self
test with the same (nothing) results. The only clue I have is the error
message I receive when doing a print head alignment. Otherwise both printers
act like they're printing. I've never had that happen. I kept thinking it
was some painfully obvious mistake on my part (piece of tape, etc.) but
after the 2nd unit did the same, I have no idea what's happening. The
printhead and cartridge assembly is so straighforward, I'd assumed it was an
electrical problem. That's why Canon overnighted me another unit. I never
expected that one to do the same thing. It's a mystery to me...

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> Have you tried swapping the print head into another unit. Even though the
> cartridges work that does not mean the printhead is fine. I am not sure
but
> have to assume that you tried another printer with the same USB cable and
it
> worked fine. So that being the truth it would mean 2 printers that have
> similar problems and the cable is fine. Or the print head is clogged on
both
> units. I believe you can remove those and try cleaning with a little warm
> water and a paper towel. Just gently dab the nozzles to clean. Someone can
> correct me if that is not correct.
>
> Regards,
> John O.
>
> "Dennis Gordon" <bixster@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone...
> >
> > I have a refurbished i860 Canon inkjet that I bought off Ebay that will
> > not put a drop of ink on the page. Actually, I have 2, since Canon sent
me
> > a replacement (as well as a new print head) that also will not print.
I've
> > set up 5 other Canons in recent months with no problems. I've swapped
the
> > cartridges with another unit and they work there. I can't believe that I
> > could possible have gotten 2 printers that absolutely won't print. No
ink
> > is being placed on the page. When I run a print head alignment, the
> > printers churn for a while and I get an error message. There is no tape
or
> > other obstruction that I can see. Tech support has been kind, but they
> > don't know what's up. I'm about to return the swapped printer to Canon,
> > but I thought I'd ask around here before I chuck the other one out the
> > door. Any ideas? Thanks...
> >
> > Dennis

I've done the free standing test about 50 times...;-) Nothing. I'm pretty
good at getting things to work, but this has me bamboozled...

> Try the nozzle test in free standing mode. On my i960 the nozzle test
> is initiated by holding down the resume/reset button until the
> indicator light blinks twice, then release before the light can blink
> 3 times. If this does not work on your i860, look in your manual
> under nozzle test and there should be a small paragraph about how to
> do the manual nozzle test.
>
> This should print ink from every ink cartridge so would be a good test
> to use.
> Skylark

It's not the computers. I've done the free standing test many times (holding
the resume button 'til it blinks twice). If it was clogged or smeared, I
could understanf; but to get nothing after 50 tries is ridiculous...:).
Especially when I was so sure the relacement was going to work...

> These were 2 brand new sealed print heads. I doubt that they could both
> come
> out of the bags clogged, and even if they were, wouldn't I get at least a
> drop or two out of some of the nozzles? Pages come out totally blank. I've
> tried both USB and parallel connections, as well as running the printer
> self
> test with the same (nothing) results. The only clue I have is the error
> message I receive when doing a print head alignment. Otherwise both
> printers
> act like they're printing. I've never had that happen. I kept thinking it
> was some painfully obvious mistake on my part (piece of tape, etc.) but
> after the 2nd unit did the same, I have no idea what's happening. The
> printhead and cartridge assembly is so straighforward, I'd assumed it was
> an
> electrical problem. That's why Canon overnighted me another unit. I never
> expected that one to do the same thing. It's a mystery to me...

I am going to assume you were first sent a replacement printhead and when
that did not work, called back and a replacement printer was sent out. If
that is the case, and this has not been done yet, contact canon support
again and request a replacement printer *with* printhead be sent out. The
reason I say this is that it is very possible that the original printer may
have an electrical problem in the carriage which damaged its original
printhead. You then received the replacement placing it in this same printer
damaging it also. Calling tech support their next best assumption would be,
must be a bad printer as you already received a printhead so a printer is
sent out. Unfortunately both printheads are dead from being placed in the
original printer. It is rare but I have seen it before in printers and can
see how it could be missed over the phone.

That's an interesting theory, and you have described the scenario correctly.
I'll wait until Canon receives the original printer back, although at this
point I'm a bit embarassed to call them yet again... but I'll get over it.
Thanks for the suggestion...

> I am going to assume you were first sent a replacement printhead and when
> that did not work, called back and a replacement printer was sent out. If
> that is the case, and this has not been done yet, contact canon support
> again and request a replacement printer *with* printhead be sent out. The
> reason I say this is that it is very possible that the original printer
may
> have an electrical problem in the carriage which damaged its original
> printhead. You then received the replacement placing it in this same
printer
> damaging it also. Calling tech support their next best assumption would
be,
> must be a bad printer as you already received a printhead so a printer is
> sent out. Unfortunately both printheads are dead from being placed in the
> original printer. It is rare but I have seen it before in printers and can
> see how it could be missed over the phone.

Why wait and why be embarrassed, you have a product under warranty and
deserve to have a working unit. They understand that and sometimes the odd
things are not caught so quickly on the phone.

"Dennis Gordon" <bixster@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<Cjled.22834$Qv5.1591@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
> It's not the computers. I've done the free standing test many times (holding
> the resume button 'til it blinks twice). If it was clogged or smeared, I
> could understanf; but to get nothing after 50 tries is ridiculous...:).
> Especially when I was so sure the relacement was going to work...

There is no point in testing with computers until the free standing
nozzle test works. Sounds like your printer needs repair.

Well I was being just a bit ironic. Of course I'll call them, but it does
get wearying going round with the tech support...

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
> Why wait and why be embarrassed, you have a product under warranty and
> deserve to have a working unit. They understand that and sometimes the odd
> things are not caught so quickly on the phone.
>

> "Dennis Gordon" <bixster@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>> That's an interesting theory, and you have described the scenario
>> correctly.
>> I'll wait until Canon receives the original printer back, although at
>> this
>> point I'm a bit embarassed to call them yet again... but I'll get over
>> it.
>> Thanks for the suggestion...
>>

>>> I am going to assume you were first sent a replacement printhead and
>>> when
>>> that did not work, called back and a replacement printer was sent out.
>>> If
>>> that is the case, and this has not been done yet, contact canon support
>>> again and request a replacement printer *with* printhead be sent out.
>>> The
>>> reason I say this is that it is very possible that the original printer
>> may
>>> have an electrical problem in the carriage which damaged its original
>>> printhead. You then received the replacement placing it in this same
>> printer
>>> damaging it also. Calling tech support their next best assumption would
>> be,
>>> must be a bad printer as you already received a printhead so a printer
>>> is
>>> sent out. Unfortunately both printheads are dead from being placed in
>>> the
>>> original printer. It is rare but I have seen it before in printers and
>>> can
>>> see how it could be missed over the phone.

TRENDING THREADS