Canon IP4000 Pixma ink low query

Howdy. I've enjoyed this printer, but after about 200-250 4X6 prints, it now
says that the "ink is running low" on the yellow (6) cartridge. Two
questions:

1) How long do I have before I the cartridge is totally out and printing
stops? I ask this because with my old Epson Color 400 Stylus printer, the
cartridge light starts blinking but I still often get an additional 40 pages
of print out of it. I'm assuming that's not the case here. So, about how
many 4X6 photos should I be able to print?

2) Just curious -- is this the usual cartridge to go first (yellow)? Should
I expect the other cartridges to run out quickly?

Mel

YOu can keep printing. I have the same printer, anf got that messaage as
well. The printer kept going until the cartridge was empty, and then it
stopped. ALL printing upto that point was excellent.

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> Howdy. I've enjoyed this printer, but after about 200-250 4X6 prints, it
> now says that the "ink is running low" on the yellow (6) cartridge. Two
> questions:
>
> 1) How long do I have before I the cartridge is totally out and printing
> stops? I ask this because with my old Epson Color 400 Stylus printer, the
> cartridge light starts blinking but I still often get an additional 40
> pages of print out of it. I'm assuming that's not the case here. So, about
> how many 4X6 photos should I be able to print?
>
> 2) Just curious -- is this the usual cartridge to go first (yellow)?
> Should I expect the other cartridges to run out quickly?
>
> Mel

Typically you will only ruin one page. Hardly the cost of throwing half a
cartridge of ink away. The printer manufacturers are in the game to sell
ink. The printers only offer an appliance to do that.

Look at the prices. The printers are cheaper than a cartridge of ink.

MB_ wrote:
> Howdy. I've enjoyed this printer, but after about 200-250 4X6 prints,
> it now says that the "ink is running low" on the yellow (6)
> cartridge. Two questions:
>
> 1) How long do I have before I the cartridge is totally out and
> printing stops? I ask this because with my old Epson Color 400 Stylus
> printer, the cartridge light starts blinking but I still often get an
> additional 40 pages of print out of it. I'm assuming that's not the
> case here. So, about how many 4X6 photos should I be able to print?
>
> 2) Just curious -- is this the usual cartridge to go first (yellow)?
> Should I expect the other cartridges to run out quickly?
>
> Mel

under 1...
i can't tell you exactly, but note that Epson counts drops printed while
Canon has optical sensor for low ink warning, so Epson will notify you
sooner and to be honest, it doesn't really know how much exactly ink is
remaining, while Canon will warn you when first container is empty and ink
is left only in the sponge. At this time Canon starts to count drops and
after certain amount of drops it will stop printing, so best way is to try
and have new cart ready.

under 2...
first cart depends on type of your prints, but yes, you can expect other
colors to run low soon.