Have been looking over new printers and giving thought to the i860. Was looking
at one retailer's web site and had a number of customer reviews. Saw one
comment saying something about ink over spray tank. Fills up quickly and not
consumer serviceable. Also mentioned something about Canon resetting some code
when tank is replaced.

Never heard anything like this before for Canon. Can anyone clarify and or add
to this? Have heard a lot of good reports on this printer but don't want to end
up with something with a gotcha after the fact.

Mickey

Stevie

Buy you dammed cartreidges rom caonon~!

"Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message
> Have been looking over new printers and giving thought to the i860. Was
looking
> at one retailer's web site and had a number of customer reviews. Saw one
> comment saying something about ink over spray tank. Fills up quickly and
not
> consumer serviceable. Also mentioned something about Canon resetting some
code
> when tank is replaced.
>
> Never heard anything like this before for Canon. Can anyone clarify and
or add
> to this? Have heard a lot of good reports on this printer but don't want
to end
> up with something with a gotcha after the fact.
>
> Mickey

bill

Stevie wrote:

>Buy you dammed cartreidges rom caonon~!

Duh...you gotta like people who can't comprehend written text, AND can't
type their own.

:)

>"Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message
>> Have been looking over new printers and giving thought to the i860.

Good printer...a coworker has one and is quite happy.

>> at one retailer's web site and had a number of customer reviews. Saw one
>> comment saying something about ink over spray tank. Fills up quickly and
>not
>> consumer serviceable. Also mentioned something about Canon resetting some
>code when tank is replaced.

I've read, but haven't confirmed, that the Canon i series apparently
have a waste-ink reservoir where the printhead is cleaned (right-side
under the case). After a certain number of cleaning cycles, the printer
stops working, believing the reservoir is full and needs servicing.

I have yet to experience this, but I've only run the equivalent of some
10 sets of ink tanks through the printer.

If this turns out to be true, then Canon has made a big mistake, one
that will cost them many customers, including me. I switched from HP to
reduce printing costs and if Canon intends to mess with that, it'll be
the last Canon product I buy.

I'll make sure they know it too. :)

Now if the printer uses a sensor to detect when the reservoir is full,
then it may never fill up and stop the printer with typical users
because some of the waste ink will evaporate between printing sessions.
Only heavy users would have a problem. Even so, if it is a sensor,
simply cleaning out the reservoir from time to time would solve the
problem.

The printer will continue to print after the sensor is triggered.
You can reset it manually through a series of commands.
I am a heavy user and have gone through at least 25 black cartridges and 13
color without a error code on my I850.
I do know how to reset it if it ever happens though.

Michael Grey wrote:
> The printer will continue to print after the sensor is triggered.
> You can reset it manually through a series of commands.
> I am a heavy user and have gone through at least 25 black cartridges and 13
> color without a error code on my I850.
> I do know how to reset it if it ever happens though.

Please share the info with the rest of us.

Mickey

bill

Mickey wrote:

>Michael Grey wrote:
>> The printer will continue to print after the sensor is triggered.
>> You can reset it manually through a series of commands.
>> I am a heavy user and have gone through at least 25 black cartridges and 13
>> color without a error code on my I850.
>> I do know how to reset it if it ever happens though.
>
>Please share the info with the rest of us.

Is it a permanent fix, or the common fix that is lost when the power
fails like this:

1 Unplug power and USB cords
2 Open top cover and hold down power button
3 Connect power cord
4 Close cover and release power button
5 Connect USB and press power to use normally

JB

"Mickey" <mickey@webster.com> wrote in message
> Have been looking over new printers and giving thought to the i860. Was
looking
> at one retailer's web site and had a number of customer reviews. Saw one
> comment saying something about ink over spray tank. Fills up quickly and
not
> consumer serviceable. Also mentioned something about Canon resetting some
code
> when tank is replaced.
>
> Never heard anything like this before for Canon. Can anyone clarify and
or add
> to this? Have heard a lot of good reports on this printer but don't want
to end
> up with something with a gotcha after the fact.
>
> Mickey

goggle for canon reset printer... --- this is for the s9000 but......

WASTE TANK ALMOST FULL ERROR MESSAGE PROBLEM

This is true with many Canon Ink Jet Printers: Eventually, you'll get an
error message "Waste Ink Tank Almost Full, Contact Your Canon Repair
Center". Canon is totally sly about this, and is actually a pretty
ridiculous design flaw that s Anyway, don't let this problem discourage
buying an otherwise fantastic Canon printer. Here's the fix:

The waste ink take is actually just a felt pad that sits under the printer
mechanism inside the case and absorbs the ink from your cleanings. From what
I gather, its both a time consuming and expensive proposition to take to
Canon to fix. And they won't tell people how to do it themselves. Well, I
WILL. And this works.

Remember of course, you've got to cycle the cleaning process a huge amount
of times to get this to occur.

But when it does, there is a fix-it-yourself solution that is both safe and
effective for the printer, and free. You have to be slightly mechanical to
do this. If you get this message and you've never used a screwdriver and are
all thumbs, well, Canon gotcha. But give it a shot even then, or give it to
someone halfway coordinated to do this for you.

1) Figure out how to open the printer by removing the side and inside top
plastic panels. Just look at the thing and use your brain. Its all pressure
clipped in place, no screws (at least on the S900 and similar models,
probably still the same on this years models.)

2) No need to remove the ink cartridges in this process- so don't. The
mechanism is held down in place in the case by two screws at the very bottom
on the outside bottom of the metal chassis inside. Remove these screws then
lift up the mechanism. It should lift out fairly easily, but remain attached
by wires-- just place it on the top edge of the case.

3) You'll see the blackened (from waste ink) felt pads on the bottom. WEAR
GLOVES-- this is skin indelible ink, the only thing that will get it off
your hands is CLOROX. Period. There are two skinny pads that sit on top of a
larger pad. Note how they fit together.

4) Lift the pads out and rinse out thorough in a sink until very little or
no ink comes out. There's no need to use chemical or soap cleaners, just use
plain water from the tap and the spray nozzle. Keep rinsing and squeezing
the pads, but don't twist them like a towel, squeeze and fold in half
however to really get the ink out.

Lay flat in the sun for a few hours to dry. Use a hairdryer to get the last
bit of moisture out then replace in the printer, and put everything back
together.

5) RESET the printer electronics, so you won't get the stupid "waste ink
tank full" message any more. Do an online web search if this doesn't work
for your model, although this works (or slight variations0 for many,
including the 8200, the S800, and S900 series. Two main buttons on the top
of the printer- Power and the Resume:

1) Power off printer
2) Hold RESUME button then press and hold POWER. (The beeper MAY sound once,
or may not depending on your model.)
3) Hold POWER and Release RESUME.
4) Press RESUME twice then release both POWER and RESUME buttons.
5) When the indicator lights steady, press RESUME 4 times (for the S900, 3
times for the 8200 apparently).
6) Press power to set data.
7) Print away!

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thankyou. What is the error code for this?

Gary wrote:

> Thankyou. What is the error code for this?

8 flashes of the light, will find error message info on P72 of the owners manual.

Mickey