Canon S2 IS $424 at Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

I ordered one at that price. They are apparently a couple of weeks out on
shipping but I'm in no hurry.

Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig wrote:
> I ordered one at that price. They are apparently a couple of weeks out on
> shipping but I'm in no hurry.

After reading reviews and looking at sample pictures I purchased the
Panasonic FZ5 over the Canon at B&H for $449.00 I have a friend with the
FZ5 and the pictures for a P&S are pretty amazing, not as good as my
20D but for the wife and for those times times you need a quick P&S the
FZ5 seems to be superior to the Canon.

Tim

Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig wrote:
> I ordered one at that price. They are apparently a couple of weeks out on
> shipping but I'm in no hurry.

After reading reviews and looking at sample pictures I purchased the
Panasonic FZ5 over the Canon at B&H for $449.00 I have a friend with the
FZ5 and the pictures for a P&S are pretty amazing, not as good as my
20D but for the wife and for those times times you need a quick P&S the
FZ5 seems to be superior to the Canon.

Tim

Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig wrote:
> I ordered one at that price. They are apparently a couple of weeks out on
> shipping but I'm in no hurry.

After reading reviews and looking at sample pictures I purchased the
Panasonic FZ5 over the Canon at B&H for $449.00 I have a friend with the
FZ5 and the pictures for a P&S are pretty amazing, not as good as my
20D but for the wife and for those times times you need a quick P&S the
FZ5 seems to be superior to the Canon.

Tim

> After reading reviews and looking at sample pictures I purchased the
> Panasonic FZ5 over the Canon at B&H for $449.00 I have a friend with the
> FZ5 and the pictures for a P&S are pretty amazing, not as good as my 20D
> but for the wife and for those times times you need a quick P&S the FZ5
> seems to be superior to the Canon.
>
> Tim

To me the difference-maker was the S2 IS's movie mode. 640x480 @ 30fps.
That's actually better than a VHS camcorder. I downloaded a couple of clips
and was very impressed. I'll be ordering a D70s in a few months but for a
fun camera the S2 looks just right for me. I must admid the FZ5 is very
impressive also. I think you can't go wrong either way for a P&S. I'll be
looking to unload my Oly C-3040 (a great camera--in it's day) on ebay when
the Canon arrives.

Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig wrote:
> I ordered one at that price. They are apparently a couple of weeks out on
> shipping but I'm in no hurry.

I paid more at Best Buy, but I've already had mine for a couple of
weeks. For me, getting it sooner was worth paying an extra $75 (and
getting double Reward Zone points on the purchase).

It's a great camera, and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours. Plan on spending
a little time with the manual before you use the camera much, though;
all those features and modes are wonderful, but only after you learn how
to use them.

--
Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

> What about current owners of an S1?
> Many similarities, just more range?
> --
>
> JK

Well, lets see: Faster, 5MP vs. 3MP, better movie mode, USB2.0 vs. 1.1, and
a number of smaller improvements. Here's a comparison chart:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/

> I paid more at Best Buy, but I've already had mine for a couple of
> weeks. For me, getting it sooner was worth paying an extra $75 (and
> getting double Reward Zone points on the purchase).
>
> It's a great camera, and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours. Plan on spending a
> little time with the manual before you use the camera much, though; all
> those features and modes are wonderful, but only after you learn how to
> use them.
>
> --
> Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
> Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

Great! Thanks for the feedback.

I'm looking forward to getting this as a "fun" camera. I'm still shooting
an old Nikon AF film SLR for demanding work, saving my pennies until I can
afford a D70s or the D100 replacement when/if it comes out. Getting this
camera for $424 is great, I can wait a couple of weeks because I still have
my trusty Olympus C-3040, which I love and will miss when I sell it.

jpm

> It's a great camera, and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours. Plan on spending
> a little time with the manual before you use the camera much, though; all
> those features and modes are wonderful, but only after you learn how to
> use them.
>
> --
> Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
> Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

Oh, have you tried the movie mode at the best quality? I downloaded a