Question Canon TS5020 printers are to be sold to Canadian owners only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

Distinguished
I purchased a TS5020 Canon printer off from Amazon.com, sold by Adorama out of New York, back in October 2021. It's still covered under Canon's warranty.

I couldn't register the printer through Canon's online registration option, kept saying the serial number was invalid. I tried several times with the same results and figured it was a glitch in Canon's Web site. I didn't think anymore of it at the time.

Fast forward to now, 6 months later and I notice 2 black spots on the underside of the glass where you put a paper for copying or scanning. It looked like 2 black ink spots with one being smudged a bit. These spots were showing up on the copied/scanned images/documents.

I contact Canon support and I couldn't get through due to the printer not being registered and thus, Canon not having my personal info on their end, they won't connect me through to a live person.

After several attempts and finally reaching a live person, they continued to say the serial number is invalid, they do some research on their end and find out it's a model that should have been sold in Canada only, not to anyone in the U.S.A.!! They can't help me with any warranty support because of that.

They give me a number to Canon support in Canada and I reach a live person and explain my problem. I didn't even get to the serial number, once I told him the model # TS5020, he said the same thing: That model is only suppose to be sold to Canadian residents or to folks that have a Canadian address!! And because I live in the USA and my address is in the State of Vermont, they can't offer me any warranty support either!!

How can a business (Adorama) in New York be allowed to sell printers to US residents when those printers are only to be sold in Canada?!?

I ended up calling back the live support person in the U.S. and asking for a supervisor. I explained the situation and asked her if Canon was aware that a U.S. based company was selling Canon printers to U.S. citizens that were only supposed to be sold to Canadian residents?!? They weren't aware of this and the board meeting that this supervisor was going to attend to on the following Monday, she was going to bring that up along with my problem - no warranty support for my printer!

She called me back later that week and offered me a new printer in exchange for the current non-supportive printer I had now and that she says I will be able to register the new one online at Canon's site.
She apologized for the inconvenience and threw in 2 extra color & black ink cartridges.

Buyer's beware- Canon printers model # TS5020 are not to be sold to US citizens.
Shame on Adorama for not knowing this or just ignoring Canon's guidelines for certain printers they sell.

Buyer's notice: Canon stands behind their products and made me a "come back" customer after this experience. Kudos to Canon for fixing this!

kanewolf

Titan
I purchased a TS5020 Canon printer off from Amazon.com, sold by Adorama out of New York, back in October 2021. It's still covered under Canon's warranty.

I couldn't register the printer through Canon's online registration option, kept saying the serial number was invalid. I tried several times with the same results and figured it was a glitch in Canon's Web site. I didn't think anymore of it at the time.

Fast forward to now, 6 months later and I notice 2 black spots on the underside of the glass where you put a paper for copying or scanning. It looked like 2 black ink spots with one being smudged a bit. These spots were showing up on the copied/scanned images/documents.

I contact Canon support and I couldn't get through due to the printer not being registered and thus, Canon not having my personal info on their end, they won't connect me through to a live person.

After several attempts and finally reaching a live person, they continued to say the serial number is invalid, they do some research on their end and find out it's a model that should have been sold in Canada only, not to anyone in the U.S.A.!! They can't help me with any warranty support because of that.

They give me a number to Canon support in Canada and I reach a live person and explain my problem. I didn't even get to the serial number, once I told him the model # TS5020, he said the same thing: That model is only suppose to be sold to Canadian residents or to folks that have a Canadian address!! And because I live in the USA and my address is in the State of Vermont, they can't offer me any warranty support either!!

How can a business (Adorama) in New York be allowed to sell printers to US residents when those printers are only to be sold in Canada?!?

I ended up calling back the live support person in the U.S. and asking for a supervisor. I explained the situation and asked her if Canon was aware that a U.S. based company was selling Canon printers to U.S. citizens that were only supposed to be sold to Canadian residents?!? They weren't aware of this and the board meeting that this supervisor was going to attend to on the following Monday, she was going to bring that up along with my problem - no warranty support for my printer!

She called me back later that week and offered me a new printer in exchange for the current non-supportive printer I had now and that she says I will be able to register the new one online at Canon's site.
She apologized for the inconvenience and threw in 2 extra color & black ink cartridges.

Buyer's beware- Canon printers model # TS5020 are not to be sold to US citizens.
Shame on Adorama for not knowing this or just ignoring Canon's guidelines for certain printers they sell.

Buyer's notice: Canon stands behind their products and made me a "come back" customer after this experience. Kudos to Canon for fixing this!
I don't believe your statements. Why -- Canon USA website has the TS5020 listed -- https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...t-multifunction/ts-series-inkjet/ts5020-black
The Canada Canon website lists that same printer model -- https://www.canon.ca/en/product?nam...nd-Photo-Printers/Document-and-Photo-Printers
Was your serial number a Canadian unit? I don't know. BUT saying that printer was not sold in the US is incorrect, IMO.

Blackink

Distinguished
Here's the number to the Canon support in Canada: 905-524-3694.
Call, them yourself.....

Now....if you get a different answer than I did, than someone other than me is lying here.
Like I said, I didn't even have to give the serial number to the Canon support person in Canada, once I gave him the model# TS5020, he immediately said that printer is only suppose to be sold in Canada.

Oh....and just for your interest, I actually had 2 - TS5020 printers shipped to me because the first one didn't print properly on it's test page but I tried registering that one online and got the same invalid serial# problem.

Here's the serial number to the TS5020 I have here now that is getting sent back: KMRY12787.....go ahead and try registering it and see what you get.

Here's the serial# to the first TS5020 I tried registering that had the initial test page problem: KMRY10597....try to register that one and tell me if you were successful.

And here's a copy of the error I received when I tried registering that first TS5020 printer:
Error message

Pay attention to the 2nd reason it can't register the printer.

Of course, you'll probably focus on the first reason the printer can't get registered and tell me I entered the wrong serial number.

Look, I'm only trying to warn U.S. customers of a problem I incurred while trying to get warranty support through Canon.

Blackink

Distinguished
I can't verify the Newegg or Walmart stores, but the link you provided to Amazon.com is the exact same link I purchased my TS5020 printers from. And the "Visit the Canon Store" in that Amazon link doesn't tell you where the printer is coming from and that was posted on Amazon's site when I purchased my TS5020 printer.

Just because the stores list that model printer for sale doesn't mean that they are suppose to be sold in the US.

I'm having a hard time understanding why the moderators here are not believing me, especially when I called and talked with a Canon support person(s) both here and in Canada and if you would take 5 minutes and call the telephone number for Canon support in Canada that I posted in my first link, you'd get the same results I got when I talked with them -
"That printer is to be sold in Canada only".
Canon support in Canada: 905-524-3694
And don't try calling that number on a tracfone, you won't get through.

Sure....stores and Web sites can and will sell it to customers in the U.S. but they won't offer any warranty support which is the point I've been trying to get across now throughout this thread

Maybe you should just do us all a favor and delete this posting, it's pretty obvious that you're not interested in helping other Canon printer buyers that visit tom's hardware threads as far as any warranty support is involved and I'm not spending another minute defending what I know is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.