Question Canon Vs HP Inkjet Printers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
When it comes to all in one multifunction printing & scanning wireless inkjet printers, which 1 is the best overall and which brand you would buy?

Ralston18

Titan
I am currently using a HP 9015 that replaced a Canon multifunction printer.

"Best overall" needs more explanation in the form of what are your printing and scanning requirements.

How many pages do you expect to print and/or scan per day (or week)?

Color, Black & White, Grayscale?

Other needed functions: Duplex printing, autofeed scanning, faxing, etc..

Budgets: 1) Budget for the printer/scanner and 2), budget for ink.

The latter likely being the greater expense over time. I will say that HP's ink subscripton plan (100 pages) per month has saved me quite a bit versus buying OEM inks at big box stores.

Not completely pleased with the plan but I have adapted somewhat and much more to my own favor.

Other considerations: connectivity (wired or wireless), noise levels, weight, size, features (whether needed or not).

Think about your expectations/requirements. Read reviews with those thoughts in mind.

FYI:

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-printers

Plus: visit the manufacturer's websites to read FAQs and Forums. Look for what is both said and is not said.

Also important: find the applicable printer User Guides/Manuals. Read through the manuals paying close attention to all fine print, caveats, etc..

Try to go somewhere to actually see and look in the printer(s). Lots of plastic and many models are simply flimsy.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Yeah my budget is max around $75, wont be using the printer everyday so just there in case I need it you know what I mean. Yeah I was asking which brand is better when it comes to printers out of canon and hp? Brother and Epson are more expensive out of my budget.

If your printer is rarely used (like mine) I would strongly suggest investing in a laser printer.
I used to buy budget inkjets until my last ink refill (85 bucks) sat for 6 months unused and ended up being good for about 10 pages before it was all gone and dry.

As above. If you don't use an inkjet printer daily, for much more than one page per day you will be money ahead to pay more for a multifunction laser printer. Toner can sit unused for months or even years without clogging, unlike inkjets and ink.

Ralston18

Titan
In agreement with the above posts.

My next printer etc. is going to be a multifunction laser printer.

Hoping that the current HP 9015 lasts a few more months at about 110 pages/month average.

Treating it very carefully: Total pages nearing 4,000.

Bought a 60 dollar Brother black and white laser printer around 2005. Printed maybe 400-500 pages total since then. This was the cheapest Brother laser at the time. A similar model might be 100 or more now?

I have printed perhaps 20 times in the past 10 years. Perhaps 100 pages in that time.

Still using the original toner package, which I think are typically not "full" from the factory like a replacement toner would be.

I don't know what the maximum life of laser toner is, but I don't think you could do that on any inkjet.

Zero defects. Zero expenses other than paper. I keep it under a plastic typewriter-style cover to prevent dust accumulation....don't know if that matters.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Love a laser printer however are they like 4x-5x my budget for the cheapest one? Also they are massive I don't think I have the size to put one on my small corner desk. Is there like a small compact multifunction laser printer similar size to a multifunction inkjet printer?

Lastly how much are those laser toner cartridges?

The market for them shifts often, with sales rotating all the time. I paid 65 for my inkjet and 110 for my laser, and it was certainly a deal.
Size wise, its no bigger than my inkjet was, just taller.
Toner varies in price brand to brand, and third party. A genuine Canon branded replacement costs me 60 bucks for two, whereas canon ink ran me 65 dollars per color. (My laser toner is rated at 4000 pages and my inkjet was 450). You can get off brand toner for about 10-15 bucks a cartridge.

You save significantly more money going laser for infrequent use. I would pay 65 bucks to get my inkjet back up and running and maybe get 30-50 prints out of each set over time. That was over a dollar a page. In the time my laser printer has sat, it basically paid for itself.

A big question I have is do you need color printing? If you don't, then you can get a quality black and white laser printer for around $120 USD. One around that cos is the Brother HL-L2320, which I have. The thing just prints when I ask it to.

As far as toner vs ink cartridge costs goes, at least with Brother, you do pay more per page for black, but ink cartridges have a relatively short useful life once you open them. So for occasional printing, you will pay more over time for ink unless you go with an off-brand one. But even then, do you really want to print something out only to realize you need to replace the cartridge?

Blackink

Distinguished
Do yourself a favor and do some research on where the printers warranty is valid for: USA, Canada, Etc....

You see, if you were to purchase a Canon printer that is supposed to only be sold in Canada (or another country but I am focusing on the USA and Canada here...) but gets sold in the US and you need warranty service on that printer within its warranty period......YOU WON'T GET ANY WARRANTY COVERAGE....
Why is that, you may be asking??!!??
You won't be able to register the new printer on Canon's Web site because they won't recognize that printer due to it wasn't suppose to be sold in the USA and when you enter your living address in the US, Canon won't recognize it!.
Now, maybe Canon is aware of this and they don't care, I don't know.

How do I know this?
See this thread here: Canon TS5020 printer

Do your research. I can't verify anything about HP printers but I know quite well the problems you'll run into if you purchase a Canon printer that is only supposed to be sold in Canada.

Do a Google search about this problem with certain Canon printers and you'll see others who have gone through what I did when I needed warranty service.

But wait....... if you can get a Canadian address to use when you register the printer, you'll be all set.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Do yourself a favor and do some research on where the printers warranty is valid for: USA, Canada, Etc....

You see, if you were to purchase a Canon printer that is supposed to only be sold in Canada (or another country but I am focusing on the USA and Canada here...) but gets sold in the US and you need warranty service on that printer within its warranty period......YOU WON'T GET ANY WARRANTY COVERAGE....
Why is that, you may be asking??!!??
You won't be able to register the new printer on Canon's Web site because they won't recognize that printer due to it wasn't suppose to be sold in the USA and when you enter your living address in the US, Canon won't recognize it!.
Now, maybe Canon is aware of this and they don't care, I don't know.

How do I know this?
See this thread here: Canon TS5020 printer

Do your research. I can't verify anything about HP printers but I know quite well the problems you'll run into if you purchase a Canon printer that is only supposed to be sold in Canada.

Do a Google search about this problem with certain Canon printers and you'll see others who have gone through what I did when I needed warranty service.

But wait....... if you can get a Canadian address to use when you register the printer, you'll be all set.

I'm from the UK, which brand manufacturer has good warranty for UK customers?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Alright does anyone know out of HP and Canon which brand manufacturer has good after sales support for their printers such as releasing updated drivers for newer operating systems?

What it is for example I don't want to buy a new printer whenever a new windows operating system is released like Windows 12 wont support a multifunction printer fully working under windows 11 and so on you know what I mean.

Ralston18

Titan
Microsoft may (and does) provide some basic printer drivers.

Just as they do for other peripherals such as keyboards, mice, monitors, etc.. Basic functionality sans all the whistles and bells that some peripheral manufacturers dream up and offer to intice purchase of their product.

However it is up to the printer manufacturers to provide the drivers applicable to the printer's hosting OS.

Very sure that Microsoft provides the manufacturer's with some guidance regarding printer drivers, etc.. Plus any necessary security requirements and update methods.

It would be impossible for Microsoft or Apple or Linux to address every possible printer brand and model.

It is the peripheral manufacturer that must keep up with the OS's.

Not vice versa.

Sooner or later manufacturer's choose to simply no provide drivers for some aging or even obsolete OS. Such as Windows XP.

When any given printer manufacturer decides to do so is an open question. Most likely there is some cost/benefit (profit) calculation involved and once the end result is no longer profitable then writing newer drivers for those older printers and/or OS's is terminated.

And, as is stated in many stock reports, " past history is no guarantee of future results". Canon, HP, or other manufacturer's could easily change their business model and narrow down what they will immediately support. Along with what will no longer be supported.

Imagine if automobile manufacturers had to provide wheels for any tire that someone decides to produce.....

Just my thoughts on the matter.

May 28, 2023
When it comes to all in one multifunction printing & scanning wireless inkjet printers, which 1 is the best overall and which brand you would buy?
My Epson printer now seems to double print and although there is ink in all the cartridges the print tests give very pale results I spent a couple of hours jumping through hoops trying to fix the thing.. Its really not worth the effort

So I’m looking for a new one that comes with ink and the necessary cables. But how to find a good printer for light home use.

I can not see what is wrong with people today if we tell the manufacturers what we want then we should be able to get just that. Every extra feature is just something else to go wrong.

The Printer manufacturers continuously add features most of us do not need or want and all these features add to the price

My printer is plugged into my PC like its meant to be. I do not need wifi printing capability

Nor do I want my printer to have to be connected either directly or through my computer to the internet so its manufacturer can spy on me and ceaselessly try and flog me their over priced inks

What I want is to print simply what I have seen on my screen before I pressed PRINT

I do not need my printer to do anything else all the instructions I need to give it are in the software I used to create the document…numbers orientation size etc

Anything the printer can add to that is superfluous and will come at needless extra cost

I put some paper in the printer usually a few sheet more than I think I’ll need I do not need it to hold more than a dozen sheets at a time

Yes I want it to be able to scan documents and save the images

……..

And yes I want to be able to use it like a photocopier in either Color or Black & White

I want it to be able use ink cartridges other than those made by the printer manufacturer… this is important to me as like most of us for how little and rarely we need to print manufacturer inks are ridiculously expensive

I want cartridges to be easy to change.

Open the lid and have easy open access to the cartridge carrier which is not obstructed.

I simply change the cartridge I need to and resume printing

The Printer being able to tell me on screen that a cartridge is empty is a bonus it’s a good bonus but not a necessary bonus

I do need it to be reliable…

I want it to be able to print when I tell it to print even if it short of some of the inks

Does anyone recognize a printer that meets these criteria

If not … I’d like to know why no manufacturer doesn’t make on like it

If anyone does recognize a printer that meets these criteria would you please let me know what its called. I’ll find it on the net somewhere if it exists

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't name a specific brand. I will, however, suggest that a major difference between some brands is that some integrate the ink nozzle into the ink cartridge, and others integrate the nozzle into the printer. When the nozzle is part of the ink cartridge a replacement of the cartridge is also a replacement of the nozzle. Nozzles clog up, and if it is bad enough, they must be replaced. It's a lot less expensive to replace a cartridge to replace a nozzle than it is to replace the entire printer. So I will never buy any inkjet which has the nozzle integrated into the printer itself. Research that no matter which inkjet you get. Or go with a laser printer.

Side note: Xerox makes some "solid ink" printers. They are sort of a cross between laser and inkjet. Laser toner is a microbead thermoplastic, and if they stick to the paper, and the paper then rolls over the heated fuser, the beads melt into the paper. Inkjets are pure ink, and they dry out, and they are done. Solid ink is actually a high temperature wax which behaves something like toner since it melts into the paper (but it doesn't use a fuser). It can't dry or clog, simply heating it up makes it brand new, and the jets put it on the paper the same way as an inkjet. The quality is quite good, but it is more subject to abrasion and being messed up with heat. I've had laser prints inside of plastic sleeves in a backpack, and the heat was high enough that it sticks to the plastic sleeve and ruins the print. Similar happens with solid ink, but it is more sensitive to heat compared to toner. As long as it does not need to be durable I'll recommend solid ink. The cost is among the lowest you'll find, and color prints are extremely good as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: very_452001
Status
Not open for further replies.