Canonical Lowers Ubuntu One Price to Boost Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Personally I think they should add a budget option because I really want to try the Ubuntu Phone OS but don't want to blow $700 on something that may suck do like an $80 super budget phone, 512MB RAM, dual core 1GHz, 800x480 screen those sort of specs. Then maybe I can start developing for the OS as well

G

Do you guys even try to proofread your articles anymore? First off, in the title Ubuntu One is Ubuntu's free cloud service, and their phone is called the Ubuntu Edge. Second, Electronista did not report on Canonical's "Kickstarter" campaign. They only mentioned crowdfunding in their article. The Ubuntu Edge is crowdfunded on Indiegogo, not Kickstarter. At least copy the source correctly.

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Why do they want to create a phone? Focus on providing an efficient phone/tablet OS that really brings something new and manufacturers will use it for their devices. I really don't get the Ubuntu's strategy. I would love to see some Linux based phone OS become a big player. I know Android is based on Linux, but I hate to have to use Java as the main programming language, probably eating CPU cycles like crazy (why Android devices are slower than iPhones that have a slower CPU?).

V1Dar

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
"The Ubuntu Edge is crowdfunded on Indiegogo, not Kickstarter. At least copy the source correctly."

That's right.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge/

V1Dar

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
"Why do they want to create a phone?"

They want manufacturers to produce high end phones that has processing power enough to run a full desktop OS.

When docked to a monitor, keyboard and mouse, Ubuntu Edge can run a full desktop, not just a scaled up phone OS. If you have thinclient access it can even run MS Office and business applications:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtNhlVn3ETQ&t=3m4s

"Focus on providing an efficient phone/tablet OS that really brings something new and manufacturers will use it for their devices."

They have a OS that brings something new to the marked. Ubuntu Touch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-PEWGwk03o

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
"Why can't Android just replace Linux?"
Android uses the Linux kernel.
Your question makes about as much sense as "Why doesn't the K-car replace all internal combustion engines?"
The answer is simple, One cannot be the substitute of the other as they are not comparable in any way.

randomizer

Champion

Why can't all countries be merged into one? Why can't all corporations be merged into one? Because they're run by different people with different ideals, motivations and goals. The same goes for Linux distros and, well, just about everything else that can't be merged into one.

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
"Why do people like and support Linux anyway? Is it just because they don't want humanity to be stapled to Microsoft's ass?"
Many ideological reasons including that one.
If you actually were to build a customer electronic system from the ground up in a pure Microsoft world, you would be stuck having to pay licensing fees out the yin yang and be limited in almost every way possible.
In a GNU/Linux world, you just do what you need/want and share your success with the only limitation being yourself.

randomizer

Champion

Some use it for that reason. Others use it because it's the better tool for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS