Canopus, what a major disappointment

I bought Canopus Lets edit on advice given in this forum. I don't
remember now who the advisee was. But I'd like to correct any
misapperehensions arising from his posts.

1) Unabme to use any existing *.avi files. (Yes there are conversion
tools and other workarounds)
I don't like the idea of having another extra work load dumped on
me before I can do my work.

2) The latest patch is supposed to have done wonderfull things to *avi
use. I still cannot use any of mine created in Studio 8 or
elsewhere. I get horrible staticy sound making them unusalble
without retooling them.

3) the downloadable utils are sorry little tools with unorthodox
install routines. You can't tell if they were installed correctly
or what. No documentation with them.

4) The tutorials on the canopus pages are useless. I can't see any
but a few. And those lead to links that are not up.

In short. In every sphere I've tried the canopus stuff seems to be so
poorly done and so unprofessional. I've not even tried creating
video. I'm asking for a refund since none of this is mentioned in
there sales hype. We'll see how that goes.

<reader@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:u8yguolni.fsf@newsguy.com...
> I bought Canopus Lets edit on advice given in this forum. I don't
> remember now who the advisee was.

You were the advisee he was the advisor.

But I'd like to correct any
> misapperehensions arising from his posts.
>
> 1) Unabme to use any existing *.avi files. (Yes there are conversion
> tools and other workarounds)
> I don't like the idea of having another extra work load dumped on
> me before I can do my work.

it is using the canopus codec probably. A batch conversion to MSDV can be
done with their tool.

> 2) The latest patch is supposed to have done wonderfull things to *avi
> use. I still cannot use any of mine created in Studio 8 or
> elsewhere. I get horrible staticy sound making them unusalble
> without retooling them.

Well.. that makes sense actually. The Studio8 files are Pinnacle codec
probably.

> 3) the downloadable utils are sorry little tools with unorthodox
> install routines. You can't tell if they were installed correctly
> or what. No documentation with them.

> 4) The tutorials on the canopus pages are useless. I can't see any
> but a few. And those lead to links that are not up.
>
> In short. In every sphere I've tried the canopus stuff seems to be so
> poorly done and so unprofessional. I've not even tried creating
> video. I'm asking for a refund since none of this is mentioned in
> there sales hype. We'll see how that goes.

Sounds like you may hyave given up pretty quickly. I understand your
frustration. Perhaps you should use Vegas or Premiere and stop wasting your
time with the cheapo software.

I bought Let's Edit on the advice of a long-time video professional
in my area who has been using Canopus professional products for
years. It is indeed a quirky and fragile piece of software, and
I was set to return it to the shop in the UK from which I'd bought
it (they were OK to accept it and refund me), but last week's patch
solved the problems that I had been upset about.

I have a working flow from DV camcorder through to DVD using
Let's Edit, and Let's Edit has editing features that you won't find
in any other software for less than 3 times the price. So I'm keeping
it. But as someone has already observed, if you want something
that's both powerful and polished, you should be prepared to pay
a bit more for something like Vegas or Premiere.

"Kevin D. Kissell" <deletethisspamtrapKevinK@paralogos.com> writes:

> I posted about that in a thread in which you had complained about
> your problems importing clips from Pinnacle Studio into Let's Edit,
> and where Susan had pointed out that Studio produces Type 2
> AVI files and Let's Edit only knew how to handle Type 1. But

That was it yes. And thanks for your full description of your
experience with LE. My first editing tool was pinnacle so I have a
number of *.avi from that. I'll go ahead and convert them all and
probably learn how to use LE better...
Thanks for taking time and being patient ...

TRENDING THREADS