Can't access Admin Account

mjc925

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
First, I am about a 5 on the 10 scale of computer savvy, so please take that into consideration when answering and thanks to all that take the time to answer this question. Not sure what I did, was trying to change my computer name and switched from a "Microsoft Account" to a "Local Account" via User Accounts>Make Changes in my account in PC Settings, but apparently I messed something up. The old account name I had is gone and a new account name is present (the one I made when I set up a "Local Account"). Unfortunately the old account name had Admin privileges, the new account does not. Only one account name is showing up in User Accounts. So anytime I try to do anything that makes a change to the computer it tells me I need Admin. privileges and asks for a password. I have the actual password, however when I input it I get the message:
User has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer. Login Failure
When I put in an incorrect password it tells me my password is wrong, so it seems to know the password I put in is correct, just says it won't accept it.
So I have spent hours trying to figure out where the account with admin privileges went and how to access it, unfortunately all the advice I find online requires me to have admin privileges to try, so I am in a Catch-22, anything that requires a change to the computer requires a password that when I put in I am told I don't have access rights.
Probably not the best detailed description of the situation, so ask anything and I will try to answer it best I can.

Thanks all

Solution
you should try this first:

Open settings
Open Update & Security
Click Recovery
Select reset this pc
Choose to keep your files
this will reinstall windows 10 and keep your files. you will still need to reinstall all your applications.

I would copy everything you want to keep before hand, just in case it doesn't work.

Good luck :)

mjc925

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
Thanks Colif, sounds similar to what my problem is, I didn't purposefully delete my admin account, they just sorta vanished when I created a new account name. Sounds like the options basically will wipe my drive and I have to reinstall everything, which I would like not to have to do, but it may come to that. Odd that you need an admin account to access the admin accounts. There must be a way to log in as an administrator!

Colif

Win 11 Master
you should try this first:

Open settings
Open Update & Security
Click Recovery
Select reset this pc
Choose to keep your files
this will reinstall windows 10 and keep your files. you will still need to reinstall all your applications.

I would copy everything you want to keep before hand, just in case it doesn't work.

Good luck :)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS