[SOLVED] Can't access Arris CM500B modem ?

KIHA

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
So, I've been doing some port forwarding, so I can play a game with my friend, and I realized that I can't do it the regular way because I have a modem and a router: Arris CM500B, facing the internet, and netis WF2411, connected to my PC and providing WiFi.

Now, the problem is that I can't access Arris' control panel (or whatever it's called). I've tried many IPs (including the default gateway), reseting the modem, connecting the modem directly to my PC, but nothing worked.
I looked all over the Internet, but so far came up with no solutions.

I don't have too much knowledge in networking, but I have done some port forwarding earlier within a Local Network.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

kanewolf

Titan
So, I've been doing some port forwarding, so I can play a game with my friend, and I realized that I can't do it the regular way because I have a modem and a router: Arris CM500B, facing the internet, and netis WF2411, connected to my PC and providing WiFi.

Now, the problem is that I can't access Arris' control panel (or whatever it's called). I've tried many IPs (including the default gateway), reseting the modem, connecting the modem directly to my PC, but nothing worked.
I looked all over the Internet, but so far came up with no solutions.

I don't have too much knowledge in networking, but I have done some port forwarding earlier within a Local Network.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.
Everything I see is that the CM500 is a Netgear product not an Arris product. The CM500 is a straight modem. You do not need to do anything for port forwarding with a stand alone modem. Port forwarding is a router function, not a modem function.

KIHA

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Everything I see is that the CM500 is a Netgear product not an Arris product. The CM500 is a straight modem. You do not need to do anything for port forwarding with a stand alone modem. Port forwarding is a router function, not a modem function.

I see, but I've already tried to port forward on my router, I've followed many intructions I found on the internet, but nothing worked. That's when I came across an article that said if your public IP address isn't matching the IP address listed on the router control panel, which I checked and mismatch turned out to be true (should have mentioned this earlier), then that means that the router that's connected to your PC isn't facing the internet, and you should enable DMZ on the one that is facing the internet. So I thought maybe I should do the same with the modem.
All in all, I still can't find a solution.

kanewolf

Titan
I see, but I've already tried to port forward on my router, I've followed many intructions I found on the internet, but nothing worked. That's when I came across an article that said if your public IP address isn't matching the IP address listed on the router control panel, which I checked and mismatch turned out to be true (should have mentioned this earlier), then that means that the router that's connected to your PC isn't facing the internet, and you should enable DMZ on the one that is facing the internet. So I thought maybe I should do the same with the modem.
All in all, I still can't find a solution.
Not having a public IP address could be a function of your ISP.
But, I agree with @SamirD, we need accurate model numbers for the hardware you have.

KIHA

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Thank you. So it's a CM550B, which is a straight modem, and the Netis is your router. You would need to configure the port forwarding on the netis, not the arris.

The default login/password for the netis is guest/guest and IP is 192.168.1.1. If that doesn't work, try some of the suggestions here:
I know how to access my router, I've done it many times. The only problem that remains that when I configure the port forwarding, step by step followed many sites, it still isn't working.

Not having a public IP address could be a function of your ISP.
That one is bugging me. I've thought of it too. Could it be a dead end? Or is there a workaround? Or am I not doing port forwarding right, although it seems pretty straight up to me.