[SOLVED] Can't access BIOS after HDD format ?

Sep 12, 2022
Hey,

I've been trying to clean install windows 10 on my aunt's old office PC (HP Compaq dc7800). I've wiped the HDD clean and continued the installation process. But it got stuck on 67% so I figured my installation medium got corrupt (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ck-at-67/34490971-5825-45b6-8900-4cb72b0fac47) so I turned the PC off. But now it won't even enter the BIOS. The PC starts and fans turns on to 100% and the PC sounds like vacuum, but monitor remains black.
Did I just mess up the PC for good ? Any ideas what to do ? Help would be greatly appriciated.

EDIT: Tried to unplug the CMOS battery for about 10s, only difference is the fans don't turn on to full speed :D

Last edited:
Solution
I suspect hardware is fine, its the install that is broken since you stopped it.
Have you tried unplugging hdd as then it might put you in bios, it should at very least create an error.

have you tried holding F10 and starting PC? hold key before you press start and keep pressed until you sure its not working or it puts you in the bios

Its possible it was getting updates at 67%, you should have tried to install without an internet connection.
you will have to wipe hdd before the installer will work now I think.
if you have another PC you could put drive in it, and wipe it and then put it back in, and see how PC reacts

if you can get into bios and don't have another PC, we can boot off the USB and clean the drive from there.
Boot...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I suspect hardware is fine, its the install that is broken since you stopped it.
Have you tried unplugging hdd as then it might put you in bios, it should at very least create an error.

have you tried holding F10 and starting PC? hold key before you press start and keep pressed until you sure its not working or it puts you in the bios

Its possible it was getting updates at 67%, you should have tried to install without an internet connection.
if you have another PC you could put drive in it, and wipe it and then put it back in, and see how PC reacts

if you can get into bios and don't have another PC, we can boot off the USB and clean the drive from there.
Boot from installer

On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install

Pick troubleshoot

Pick advanced

Pick Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

Solution
Sep 12, 2022
Yep I suspect the same, tried unplugging HDD, still nothing. Screen is still black. Tried getting into bios through F10 key few times, it did nothing, except for one time when there was a red light on front of the case and 4 beeps, I think. I tried doing it again to count the beeps, but I didn't manage to recreate this. I'll try wiping the HDD on another PC but i don't think it will work tbh.

EDIT: Found the beep codes in manual I think it was one of these 3:

Bez-n-zvu.png

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022

Boot from installer

On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install

Pick troubleshoot

Pick advanced

Pick Command Prompt

Type diskpart and press enter

Type list disk and press enter

This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe

If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected

Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.

Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter

The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.

Thanks for the help, in the end i managed to get to BIOS through spamming the ESCAPE key and going trough some setup programme. From there I formatted the HDD once again and finished the installation without any more issues

Reactions: Colif