[SOLVED] Can't access BIOS - monitor stays idle until Windows login screen?

Thomas_299

Reputable
Jun 27, 2017
Hi, I was trying to get into my BIOS in order to turn on TPM and see if I am eligible to upgrade to Windows 11, but remembered that my monitor seems to have this issue... I tried hooking up different displays via HDMI but the issue persists on each monitor I have.

I read another thread that said plugging my monitor directly into the port on the motherboard would somehow allow it to work in order for me to at least get to the BIOS in order to change the way it selects the display, but then someone interjected that this was completely wrong and wouldn't work, so I haven't tried that - I seem to remember trying this a few times in the past and it never seems to be functional anyway.

So, if the screen is black until the login screen, how do you get to the BIOS in order to fix the issue?

Solution
I apologize for the delay. It's an Asus ROG 1080 Ti. I just realized UEFI is relatively new compared to it. I'd actually be mindblown to know this card is finally becoming outdated.

The system boots in about 20 seconds to the login screen, but it's dark until that point.
I believe the GeForce 10 series is compatible in a UEFI preboot environment. You may need to access UEFI settings from Windows via the alternate path I posted.
What video card do you have? Depending on how old it is, it may not work in a UEFI pre-boot environment and you'll have to get a GPU that has a UEFI compatible firmware in it.

Alternatively, your computer may be booting fast enough that you cannot get into the UEFI settings the normal way. You can try using Settings -> Update and Security -> Recovery -> "Advanced Startup" Restart Now -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware Settings

Thomas_299

Reputable
Jun 27, 2017
I apologize for the delay. It's an Asus ROG 1080 Ti. I just realized UEFI is relatively new compared to it. I'd actually be mindblown to know this card is finally becoming outdated.

The system boots in about 20 seconds to the login screen, but it's dark until that point.

GaryM

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I read another thread that said plugging my monitor directly into the port on the motherboard would somehow allow it to work in order for me to at least get to the BIOS in order to change the way it selects the display, but then someone interjected that this was completely wrong and wouldn't work, so I haven't tried that - I seem to remember trying this a few times in the past and it never seems to be functional anyway.
That's exactly what I'd try, assuming your CPU has integrated graphics. The video connector on the motherboard is only there for use with CPUs (or APUs) with built-in graphics, and otherwise serves no purpose. There's probably a setting in the BIOS to set a start-up video preference. Perhaps the person who said it was completely wrong assumed (or knew) that you don't have the right CPU for this.

I believe the GeForce 10 series is compatible in a UEFI preboot environment. You may need to access UEFI settings from Windows via the alternate path I posted.

Solution