Question Can't access BIOS on Asus X99-E-10G WS ?

May 9, 2022
Hello!

First, I have to say, this motherboard had the 24 pin power connector burnt by a faulty PSU.
The system shut down, but the board stayed powered on, and got pretty hot. ( fans turned off for some reason)
There are no visual signs on the board, no browning, or burnt, melted components, or bulging capacitors.

The board is still alive, somewhat.
It turns on, it posts, but it asks me to enter setup, but I can't.
The only thing i can do with the keyboard, is press ctrl alt del, to restart the system.
The strange thing is, when it hangs in the post screen, it says there are 2 keybards, and 2 mice connected, even tho there is only 1 keyboard plugged in, as seen in this picture. Post screen
I did try two different keyboards, and none of them worked. I even plugged in a usb 2.0 header in the board, to see if that will help.

Things I've tried so far:

• CMOS reset, several times, even new battery.
  • Installed different versions of BIOS, still no luck.
  • There is this DRTC jumper on the board, which should put me directly into BIOS? that doesn't work.
  • Changed CPU, since I had another one on hand.
  • Switched around the memory mudules in different combination. now only 1 is plugged in. ( where it should be according to manual)
The components are.
MOBO: ASUS X99 E 10G WS
CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2660 V3 ( second one, both worked flawlessly before)
RAM: 4x4 GB SK Hynix DDR4 Registered ECC modules, they came from a lenovo workstation, ( worked perfectly)
VGA: MSI 3060
PSU: some old Cooler Master 750W from a working pc.

Is it possible to save this thing, or should i just let it rest?

Thank You!

DSzymborski

Titan
Gotta be honest, I'd be extremely surprised if you could get this working again. I bet if you'd partially disassemble the board and look under the connector, you'd find some pretty awful messed up traces.

Nor am I confident that "some old Cooler Master PSU" was used with this build. There's a lot of cheaply made junk among old Cooler Master PSUs.

May 9, 2022
Gotta be honest, I'd be extremely surprised if you could get this working again. I bet if you'd partially disassemble the board and look under the connector, you'd find some pretty awful messed up traces.

Nor am I confident that "some old Cooler Master PSU" was used with this build. There's a lot of cheaply made junk among old Cooler Master PSUs.
I did took off all the heatsinks, and no marks were on the board.
The psu came from a working PC, not this one. But it had all the necessary connectors to power up this mobo.