Question Can't access certain Control Panel settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
When I try to go into Control Panel/Clock and Region/Region, I get an error message:
This app has been blocked by your system administrator. Contact your system administrator for more info.

I am in an Admin user account, on Windows 10 pro 1903. When I try to access certain language settings from the Windows 10 settings app, I get the same message.

Sometimes I get a different error message, from control.exe, that Windows was unable to access the file.
I think this whole thing maybe started to happen after the Windows August update.

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Give Microsoft a call. If this wasn't a Windows 10 instance that's Enterprise or Educational, that's externally administered, it's a glitch.

I've had this occur before where Chrome thought the machine was administered by some entity other than myself, but not Windows 10 itself.

You could also try my standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

shmu26

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
Give Microsoft a call. If this wasn't a Windows 10 instance that's Enterprise or Educational, that's externally administered, it's a glitch.

I've had this occur before where Chrome thought the machine was administered by some entity other than myself, but not Windows 10 itself.

You could also try my standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file
Thanks for the ideas. I think if I don't wake up tomorrow morning to some kind of a minor miracle, I will just restore a system image. It's usually the easiest solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS