can't access desktop or printer from laptop anymore

E

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
31
0
18,530
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Hi, I am using msft wireless with my desktop and laptop.
My internet network is working fine, I can access the
laptop from my desktop, however now suddenly I cannot
access the desktop or printer from my laptop. I still
have sharing enabled, I get a message saying I don't have
access to get permission from network administrator???
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Are you using XP Pro and a domain?

>-----Original Message-----
>Hi, I am using msft wireless with my desktop and laptop.
>My internet network is working fine, I can access the
>laptop from my desktop, however now suddenly I cannot
>access the desktop or printer from my laptop. I still
>have sharing enabled, I get a message saying I don't have
>access to get permission from network administrator???
>.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

>-----Original Message-----
>Are you using XP Pro and a domain?
>
>>I have have windows xp home version on my laptop and
win98se on the desktop. They were both communicating fine
until 6/26. I wonder if an auto-update might have screwed
things up. The old desktop can dig around in my laptop no
problem, but now the laptop thinks I don't have permission
to access the desktop and printer!


-----Original Message-----
>>Hi, I am using msft wireless with my desktop and
laptop.
>>My internet network is working fine, I can access the
>>laptop from my desktop, however now suddenly I cannot
>>access the desktop or printer from my laptop. I still
>>have sharing enabled, I get a message saying I don't
have
>>access to get permission from network administrator???
>>.
>>
>.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

workgroup is HOME (is that the same as domain?)



>-----Original Message-----
>Are you using XP Pro and a domain?
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Hi, I am using msft wireless with my desktop and
laptop.
>>My internet network is working fine, I can access the
>>laptop from my desktop, however now suddenly I cannot
>>access the desktop or printer from my laptop. I still
>>have sharing enabled, I get a message saying I don't
have
>>access to get permission from network administrator???
>>.
>>
>.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Domains are only supported in XP Pro. XP Home and 98 only
use workgroups (unless there is a domain server)

>-----Original Message-----
>workgroup is HOME (is that the same as domain?)
>
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Are you using XP Pro and a domain?
>>
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>Hi, I am using msft wireless with my desktop and
>laptop.
>>>My internet network is working fine, I can access the
>>>laptop from my desktop, however now suddenly I cannot
>>>access the desktop or printer from my laptop. I still
>>>have sharing enabled, I get a message saying I don't
>have
>>>access to get permission from network administrator???
>>>.
>>>
>>.
>>
>.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Three scenarios.

Check that File and Printer sharing is enabled on the 98
machine. RIght-mouse click on the Network icon and select
properties.

Check the type of sharing -- under 98 you can set it to ask
a password to access shares. Enable all access, not per
password.

Check for a firewall on the desktop (Norton, ZOneAlarm...),
or WIndows built-in ICF. Disable them. ICF is on the
Advanced tab of the connection properties.

>-----Original Message-----
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Are you using XP Pro and a domain?
>>
>>>I have have windows xp home version on my laptop and
>win98se on the desktop. They were both communicating fine
>until 6/26. I wonder if an auto-update might have screwed
>things up. The old desktop can dig around in my laptop no
>problem, but now the laptop thinks I don't have permission
>to access the desktop and printer!
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>>>Hi, I am using msft wireless with my desktop and
>laptop.
>>>My internet network is working fine, I can access the
>>>laptop from my desktop, however now suddenly I cannot
>>>access the desktop or printer from my laptop. I still
>>>have sharing enabled, I get a message saying I don't
>have
>>>access to get permission from network administrator???
>>>.
>>>
>>.
>>
>.
>
 

Similar threads