Cant access external hard drive i/o device error

notcompsavvy

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Hi, I recently was using my WD My Passport External Hard Drive (500 GB) on my Vista, everything fully updated, and I shut the computer down, plugged it in the next day to use the hard drive, and I got the error

G:\ is not accessible.
The request cannot be performed because of an I/O device error.

I restarted my computer, tried all the USB ports, I checked the device manager and all ports are updated and working fine, everything is updated and I scanned for hardward changes...nothing. I tried to check for errors on the drive, but it states the drive cannot be accessed. I ran a chkdsk g: /f and it states a chkdsk cannot be run on RAW drives. The device also shows up on my friend's computer as local disk g: instead of My Passport and shows the same errors, she has a Windows 7. I have had the H/D maybe 10 months, and I used it to back up my files as my computer is 4 years old and running slower everyday. Silly me for thinking one backup device was enough. Is there anyway to fix this, or am I screwed and have to format all 300GB of data?

Cobber1962

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I've got the same problem with a WD My Book Live. Doesn't look like we'll get any answers here though.