Can't access hdd from windows, but can in bios.

Jawez08

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
My Hard drive has stopped working. it is a 120gb Seagate Momentus 5400.3. It is detected by the bios but the pc wont boot if i have it connected. When i run a DPS-self test, i get a completion code 7 sayin faulty disk. I have looked this up and only part of the disk is faulty. How can i acces and find the faulty section? I cannot detect the disk if the computer is already booted.

Solution
Look, if it's a faulty drive it's a faulty drive, period. The faulty section will simply get ever larger until the drive fails completely. In other words, pointless trying to do anything with it. Get it replaced, restore your data from the backups you made - - oh, you didn't back it up? I bet you wish you had.
Look, if it's a faulty drive it's a faulty drive, period. The faulty section will simply get ever larger until the drive fails completely. In other words, pointless trying to do anything with it. Get it replaced, restore your data from the backups you made - - oh, you didn't back it up? I bet you wish you had.

Solution

Jawez08

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
On another forum I found someone with the same problem as me. Someone said "Code 7 means Windows has found a part of the drive that is flaky, this doesn't mean the drive is kaput!" Is this true? If so how can I access the drive?