Can't access HDMI port

catamandoo

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Recently I bought myself a Gigabyte geforce GTX 950 for my budget build, as I'm planning on getting into pc gaming.

I just installed it, and realized there's a small piece of bent metal on the back of the computer case (probably there to eliminate sharp edges) that's right beside the HDMI port, making it impossible to stick an ordinary cable all the way in. I'm wondering if there's someway to calculate graphics on the graphics card and somehow get the output through the motherboard's HDMI port, or if I have give up on HDMI and use the DVI ports.

I can also mention there's no way to remove the piece of metal without cutting it off with tools. The displayport is also blocked by it.

Solution
For the most part DVI can do everything HDMI can(HDMI can use higher clock rates[only when over 1920 x 1200 and 60hz] to compensate for being a single link, but the talk the same language).

DVI -> HDMI Adapters even support audio in many cases.
zojc5j.jpg

I also know all about the metal strip issue. My case has a 90 degree support that causes the same issue.
For the most part DVI can do everything HDMI can(HDMI can use higher clock rates[only when over 1920 x 1200 and 60hz] to compensate for being a single link, but the talk the same language).

DVI -> HDMI Adapters even support audio in many cases.
zojc5j.jpg

I also know all about the metal strip issue. My case has a 90 degree support that causes the same issue.

Solution

catamandoo

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016

I could probably cut it with the right tool, but it would probably look really rough and leave a lot of sharp edges. And no, I'm using a Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A as my motherboard.

Have been considering trying to remove the protective plastic around the HDMI connector, which might make it fit the way into the port, since that's what hits the metal bend. Don't want to destroy a perfectly good cable though.

catamandoo

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016

Since DVI doesn't seem like to much of a set back, I guess that's the only reasonable solution until I get the time and tools to trim down the metal piece.