Can't access my 2 TB Hard Drive anymore (not typical)

J-man80

Reputable
May 6, 2015
Hello HDD experts,

I wanted to turn my external hard drive into an internal one. I took it out of the case, installed it in my box... nothing there. I tried multiple power and sata cables, then I assumed that maybe it needed a special driver to run as an internal drive, but there is nothing available on Toshiba's website for it.

Eventually I decided to put it back in it's case and just continue using it as an external drive. When I hooked it up and went to access it, nothing... I'm able to see it when I check the "show hidden files" box, but I can no longer access it. Instead I get a message saying "Please insert a disk into (z)". I tried to just format it, but I got another message saying: "There is no disk in drive Z:"

This drive worked perfectly before I did all this. Have I somehow rendered it completely unusable? I've done this with other drives in the past with no issues.

This drive was encrypted with Bitlocker; could that have something to do with it?

My specs:

i7-6700K
GTX 970
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 LGA1151
16 GB RAM
840 Evo SSD (System drive)
Windows 10 Pro

HDD with problem: Toshiba DWC120 2TB External

http://www.mediafire.com/view/7xnnc3izd40ncej/Screenshot_%285%29_LI.jpg

J-man80

Reputable
May 6, 2015

It doesn't show up in Disk Management when connected internally, or Device Management. It only shows up in any of those when it's connected externally.

J-man80

Reputable
May 6, 2015

That's what I was afraid of. I just thought it was strange that it worked perfectly before I tried to connect it internally...

Thanks anyway