Can't access new HDD

Oct 16, 2018
Hey guys, I just bought a new (slightly used) HDD from a friend as I wanted to upgrade from a 100gb storage to 1tb. The problem is, I can't even access it!! When I try to do anything with the hard drive, it always says "permission denied.". I am booting the OS off of my 100gb drive as I don't know what is on the 1tb drive.

I have already tried the method where you transfer ownership of the hdd, but I also get an error message saying I don't even have permission to edit the ownership of the hard drive.

I'm getting pretty frustrated, could anyone help me out?

Solution
"Ownership"? Tranfer method?

What make and model HDD?

You should be able to simply reformat the HDD.

No need to access it per se.

Doubt that your friend would expect you to do that. Otherwise your friend would have/ should have reformatted the drive before giving it to you.

We cannot help you access the data and what may be on that HDD. So just reformat and all should be well.

Ralston18

Titan
"Ownership"? Tranfer method?

What make and model HDD?

You should be able to simply reformat the HDD.

No need to access it per se.

Doubt that your friend would expect you to do that. Otherwise your friend would have/ should have reformatted the drive before giving it to you.

We cannot help you access the data and what may be on that HDD. So just reformat and all should be well.

Solution
Oct 16, 2018
Well guys I think I figured it out myself. I went into the disk management program, deleted the volume, and formatted a new one. Everything seems to be working out fine now haha