Aug 1, 2020
Today me and my friend build my new pc. We built everything properly, the pc boots up and the RGB lights and fans turn on, but there was a slight issue that my main monitor I've been using for years is VGA (I know, I should have hdmi by now) and neither the motherboard nor my graphics card have VGA ports, so now my pc is stuck in limbo as the power button and reset button won't work so I can't turn it off. I have a tv and HDMI cable to test out but I have to turn off the pc, and the only way I can possible do it is by switching off the power supply. If I do that, could it destroy my hardware? I have plugged out my hard drives as to not lose data, but I don't wanna fry my components. Is it okay to do this? Thanks

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Don't troll man ;p There is next to none danger in connecting monitor/tv to a working pc. It's a s easy and normal as connecting usb drive (exeption would be catastophic psu fail connecting to a faulty power cord but both are also close to null chance). Now to plug/remove hdd or any other inside hardwareyes it should be done while pc is off, preferably with psu switched off or/and unplugged.

Aug 1, 2020
No! Why is your PC on? Turn it off. Hold the power button if you have to. It's not preferred, but if it's a new PC, you have no data to lose in the worst case scenario.

Unfortunately the power button won't work, and either does the reset button, my only option is to switch off the psu, but I don't wanna break anything

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Unfortunately the power button won't work, and either does the reset button, my only option is to switch off the psu, but I don't wanna break anything

Then how did you turn it on in the first place? I think there's more problems with this build than just the video port; they have nothing to do with whether the power or reset buttons are working.

Switching the PSU off is preferable to just pulling the plug from the wall.

Aug 1, 2020
Don't troll man ;p There is next to none danger in connecting monitor/tv to a working pc. It's a s easy and normal as connecting usb drive (exeption would be catastophic psu fail connecting to a faulty power cord but both are also close to null chance). Now to plug/remove hdd or any other inside hardwareyes it should be done while pc is off, preferably with psu switched off or/and unplugged.

I literally cannot turn off the pc, the power and reset button won't work. When I connect the pc to my t.v. I get no signal, I have no idea what to do

Aug 1, 2020
Then how did you turn it on in the first place? I think there's more problems with this build than just the video port; they have nothing to do with whether the power or reset buttons are working.

Switching the PSU off is preferable to just pulling the plug from the wall.

I have no idea, the pc turned on but when I tried to connect it to my t.v. I got no signal, and now I can't turn it off

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I have no idea, the pc turned on but when I tried to connect it to my t.v. I got no signal, and now I can't turn it off

Yeah, I think there's a lot going on here now.

Please list your complete specs. Also, I think you're at the point at which you need to be breadboarding this build, though the exact minimum components will depend on what you're using.

Aug 1, 2020
To add to my earlier post, unplugging it from the wall outlet won't destroy your computer. Worst case scenario windows could get corrupted but that's unlikely. If that happens you can reinstall windows.

That's the thing, I have no Windows installed, I have my 2 HDDs plugged out and from what I've heard my M.2 SSD should be fine. Since data corruption isnt the issue, the question I was asking was whether or not the motherboard, gpu, etc would get friend

Aug 1, 2020
Yeah, I think there's a lot going on here now.

Please list your complete specs. Also, I think you're at the point at which you need to be breadboarding this build, though the exact minimum components will depend on what you're using.

My specs are:

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-f Gaming
Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600
Gpu: Gigabyte Gtx 1660 super oc
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16gb ddr4 3600
Psu: Be quiet system 9 600w

As far as im aware everything is installed correctly, all the fans and lights are on, just cant turn it off or access the post screen

Aug 1, 2020
Does it say Ryzen 3000 ready on the box?

It's time to take this out of the case, breadboard, and start by shorting the pins.

A VGA monitor is not going to work without an active VGA adapter.

Yeah, it says it on the box and on the Amazon page, though there were some people saying the bios wasn't updated, and some were saying it was, and since all other compatible motherboards were sold out i just said f*ck it and got the b450-f. Also, I have no idea what breadboarding is, and I can't take everything out since the pc is still on. I'm still waiting to know if it's safe to switch off the power supply since the power buttons are not turning it off

Furzumz

Reputable
That's the thing, I have no Windows installed, I have my 2 HDDs plugged out and from what I've heard my M.2 SSD should be fine. Since data corruption isnt the issue, the question I was asking was whether or not the motherboard, gpu, etc would get friend

Shouldn't fry anything

You're just taking away the power source

I've pulled the cord out from the wall outlet before to turn off some computers that were being feisty that didn't want to turn off and it worked with no issues and no fried parts.

Aug 1, 2020
Shouldn't fry anything

You're just taking away the power source

I've pulled the cord out from the wall outlet before to turn off some computers that were being feisty that didn't want to turn off and it worked with no issues and no fried parts.

Okay I finally grew a pair and switched it off. I now currently have no idea where to begin troubleshooting. Either my motherboard doesn't have an updated bios to support my processor (thanks for the false advertising, Amazon), or I need a new monitor so I can get into the bios upon booting. One more thing I'm concerned about is that my case didn't come with a usb 2.0 header, only 3.0, so if my usb 2.0 ports don't work that's another thing I don't know how to fix. This build is f*cked lmao