Can't access router settings, previously used as switch I think

Mar 29, 2018
Hi everyone,

I just moved cross country and I'm trying to get our wifi set up using my modem/router to save $90 on the comcast installation + $12 a month for renting a modem because I already own a modem/router.

Previous set up: modem -> 2 routers, believe this router was the first connected and possibly bridged/switched to let the other router broadcast wifi.

Current set up:
-Custom desktop, top of the line PC, intel ethernet driver, worked with same modem/router previously but a second router was in the mix.
-Modem: TP Link TC-7620
-Router: TP Link TL-WR841N
-All drivers are updated

-Comcast Infinity ISP, Modem -> wired -> desktop works fine
-Modem -> wired -> router -> wire -> desktop does not work at all- no internet for the wired dekstop and no wifi broadcast. My Ethernet 2 Adapter Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V goes from Identifying... to no connection/nothing plugged in every 2 seconds or so.

1) Any ideas how to get into the router settings? I have tried ipconfig /all and I am not seeing a default gateway to use as an address and tplinkwifi.net is not working.

1B) How to address making this the primary broadcasting router again

I then tried to access the router's settings to troubleshoot but I cannot.

Solution
I would agree it sounds like the router is messed up. You should get a IP address from the DHCP of the router and you should be able to them access the router using the gateway ip provided.

Note after you get the router so you can access it again you most times must power cycle the modem every time you change what device is directly plugged into it. Cable modems tend to lock on the first mac they see and then never change.
If you don't know the IP address to access the router and it might be in bridge mode, the best bet is to do a factory reset (should be a little button on the bottom or back). Then it will be configured just like the day you first got it and you can use the manual to set it up the way you want.

I would agree it sounds like the router is messed up. You should get a IP address from the DHCP of the router and you should be able to them access the router using the gateway ip provided.

Note after you get the router so you can access it again you most times must power cycle the modem every time you change what device is directly plugged into it. Cable modems tend to lock on the first mac they see and then never change.

Solution