[SOLVED] Can't access temp limit on MSI Afterburner

Heydiddly

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Hi

Not strictly overclocking, but I'm trying to raise the threshold for thermal throttling on my laptop GPU (MX250, 25W), as by default it's unreasonably low (65C). Will probably bump it to 75/80, nothing crazy.

However, the temp limit feature is greyed out on Afterburner and nothing I've found elsewhere has let me enable it. Thing is, the same feature is enabled in ASUS GPU Tweak II, and I've confirmed it works exactly as expected... so this isn't some hardware level block, it can be done, just don't know how.

Can just continue using GPU tweak if necessary, but it's kinda crappy in every other way so I'd rather just use afterburner if possible.

For anyone concerned for my laptop's safety, I've already undervolted the CPU and reduced the turbo clock for it since that seems to be the main culprit for heat. Would also like to try undervolting the GPU a little but again, can't seem to enable voltage control in Afterburner. GPU Tweak will do it but, weirdly, only lets me add voltage offset, not decrease it..?!?! Weird stuff.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Solution
Probably not a real concern for you but your CPU and GPU have a pretty good chance of having separate heat management and your CPU temps are not going to carry much relevance for your GPU temps. So your CPU under volt won't mean anything on your GPU. Looking around a bit it seems that this is a relatively common issue with afterburner. The suggestions I came up with are upgrade to the beta, or use GPU Tweak.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Probably not a real concern for you but your CPU and GPU have a pretty good chance of having separate heat management and your CPU temps are not going to carry much relevance for your GPU temps. So your CPU under volt won't mean anything on your GPU. Looking around a bit it seems that this is a relatively common issue with afterburner. The suggestions I came up with are upgrade to the beta, or use GPU Tweak.

Solution

Heydiddly

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
I have no idea if it will work on your laptop, nor if it even works at all, but I've seen people something called ThrottleStop to do something like that.
Yea, I'm using TS to do the tweaking on my CPU, sadly doesn't have any options for discrete GPU! :(
As far as I can tell they have separate fans but shared heat pipes, a bad but common design. Certainly when stress testing the CPU for stability after undervolting, the GPU temp shoots up by 20C or so to near the default throttle temp despite having 0 load itself.

I'll take a look at the beta for afterburner, thanks. Keeping GPU Tweak as an option of last resort, it's mega buggy.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Yea, I'm using TS to do the tweaking on my CPU, sadly doesn't have any options for discrete GPU! :(

As far as I can tell they have separate fans but shared heat pipes, a bad but common design. Certainly when stress testing the CPU for stability after undervolting, the GPU temp shoots up by 20C or so to near the default throttle temp despite having 0 load itself.

I'll take a look at the beta for afterburner, thanks. Keeping GPU Tweak as an option of last resort, it's mega buggy.
Yea, vendor supplied free overclock programs are pretty hit and miss. Over the years I have kind of learned that even installing them on my builds can be problematic, especially ASUS stuff. Sorry on your heat-pipe solution the best I can say is make sure to keep it very clean with canned air. Any lint buildup will be a problem but it is especially bad when you need everything the design can do for normal operation. Best of luck!