[SOLVED] Can't access to BIOS features > freeze (GIGABYTE Z170-HD3P)

Jan 26, 2019
Hello !

Yesterday, my computer freeze everytime on the motherboard logo and I wasn't able to access to the bios or my ssd, it was stuck on the motherboard. So after I clean my computer and start my computer 20 times I stopped and let it quite for the night.

Today, the computer launched correctly but I still tried to access to the BIOS which worked, but until I go to the "BIOS Features" section, the computer freeze and only this one (MIT, System info, Peripherals... access is ok)

I have a GIGABYTE Z170-HD3P - Model name: F4 - Bios date: 10/16/2015, should I update the BIOS ? I have no idea why it does this... do you have any idea ?

Thanks !
Leo

Solution
Did you already see this thread? Someone blames conflict with a USB game controller... are there any peripherals connected to your USB which could conflict? On that note can you try with a different keyboard and or mouse?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/313800-30-help-computer-hang-entering-bios-settings

Otherwise I would try flashing the bios, your bios is pretty old either way so an update would probably be beneficial anyway. Unless it isn't causing you enough of a problem to want to take the risk, although flashing a bios isn't that hard usually. I have done multiple times with Qflash and has always been easy... just make sure power doesn't go out while you're doing it!

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
The F4 revision is one of the earliest bios version for your mobo, latest is the F22g. An update probably wouldn't hurt, at the same time however if it has been working all this time like that it may be worth trying to figure out why suddenly went wrong.

Have u tried simply resetting the bios by removing the battery or with the Jumper?

You are saying that everything works okay now except when you try to go into the BIOS features then it crashes? Was this just one time or have you repeated multiple times?

Jan 26, 2019
I did take off the battery and try to reset but didn't find the jumper. I thought that I was going to lose my motherboard's settings but it didn't change at all. I guess the reset didn't work.

I tried to go into the BIOS features 10 times, with my keyboard from left and from right, with my mouse but it freezes every time. I don't get why it freezes only on Bios features

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
Did you already see this thread? Someone blames conflict with a USB game controller... are there any peripherals connected to your USB which could conflict? On that note can you try with a different keyboard and or mouse?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/313800-30-help-computer-hang-entering-bios-settings

Otherwise I would try flashing the bios, your bios is pretty old either way so an update would probably be beneficial anyway. Unless it isn't causing you enough of a problem to want to take the risk, although flashing a bios isn't that hard usually. I have done multiple times with Qflash and has always been easy... just make sure power doesn't go out while you're doing it!

Solution
Jan 26, 2019
Thanks for the thread and your advice, I'll try again without any USB plugged-in and let you know! (I need to buy a new keyboard with they key "DEL", my Apple one doesn't have it...)

About the BIOS Update I'll be really glad if I didn't need to update it, my PC is actually an hackintosh and I'd be a bit afraid to mess up with the settings. :/