[SOLVED] Can't achieve 60fps in AC Odyssey

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
So I've got a GTX1070 paired with an i5 8400 and 16 gigs of ram. Pretty standard gaming rig. Now I've seen benchmark articles that seem to indicate that on high settings you ought to be getting around 70fps average, however I can't get the benchmark tool to average 60 at all...53 was the best it could muster even with volumetric clouds and ambient occlusion turned down and everything else at the lowest settings at 1080p. Surely minor differences in my system wouldn't tank the frame rate that much. Something must be wrong here.

Solution
Haha, yeah I know I'm not giving much to go on. Here's the userbenchmark link:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCGam...Creed-Odyssey/4032/141989.355255.High.1080p.0

According to this, I should only be getting around 57, which I understand. I think what's befuddling me is that I'm not gaining much performance at all by lowering settings. Seems like there's some specific setting holding me back here. I'll try to get screen shots. I'm typing this on my laptop and not on the gaming pc.

Lowering quality settings and having no fps change tends to signal a CPU bottleneck.

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I should probably also mention that I had gone into the BIOS and reenabled the integrated graphics for the 8400. I did this so I could run a separate monitor out of the mobo HDMI port. You don't think the game is getting gimped somehow by that do you? The graphics menu definitely recognized the 1070 because it listed it as the GPU.

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
What’s your cpu and gpu usage while in game? For cpu you need to look at individual cores and not total usage.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but pretty darn high actually. I realize the 8400 could potentially cause a bottleneck, but I didn't think it would be to such a high degree. As I said I've seen benchmark numbers with my same configuration getting much higher frame rates.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but pretty darn high actually. I realize the 8400 could potentially cause a bottleneck, but I didn't think it would be to such a high degree. As I said I've seen benchmark numbers with my same configuration getting much higher frame rates.
You really need to check. For example if it is the cpu and it’s not performing like the benchmarks there are several possibilities. These could be overheating cpu, another program/virus in the background eating cpu resources, impact of new drivers/game update/BIOS security updates or even untrustworthy/misleading benchmarks.

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
You really need to check. For example if it is the cpu and it’s not performing like the benchmarks there are several possibilities. These could be overheating cpu, another program/virus in the background eating cpu resources, impact of new drivers/game update/BIOS security updates or even untrustworthy/misleading benchmarks.

When running the in game benchmark tool, and at lowest possible settings with no AA, the CPU cores were running anywhere from 40% to 90% load. Highest temp was 52C. Average frame rate was 57.

At high settings, Core usage seemed to go a bit higher on average but other than that no major differences. Average frame rate was 51.

So obviously this isn't terrible but I'm kind of stumped as to how going from high to lowest only gained 6 frames.....

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Can you actually link the videos/articles that have suggested to you that the exact combo of an i5 8400 and GTX 1070 on high 1080p should be getting near 70 FPS? And can you take screenshots of your exact settings? We all need to be on the same page and it's extremely time-intensive for us to all individually have to find what you're looking at exactly. It's hard to say much meaningful or helpful when we're evaluating second-hand rough performance estimates against second-hand memories of third-hand benchmark tests.

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Can you actually link the videos/articles that have suggested to you that the exact combo of an i5 8400 and GTX 1070 on high 1080p should be getting near 70 FPS? And can you take screenshots of your exact settings? We all need to be on the same page and it's extremely time-intensive for us to all individually have to find what you're looking at exactly. It's hard to say much meaningful or helpful when we're evaluating second-hand rough performance estimates against second-hand memories of third-hand benchmark tests.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCGam...Creed-Odyssey/4032/141989.355255.High.1080p.0

According to this, I should only be getting around 57, which I understand. I think what's befuddling me is that I'm not gaining much performance at all by lowering settings. Seems like there's some specific setting holding me back here. I'll try to get screen shots. I'm typing this on my laptop and not on the gaming pc.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Lowering quality settings and having no fps change tends to signal a CPU bottleneck.

Solution

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
That I can believe since I haven't been able to find benchmarks for lower settings. I'm gonna go ahead and lock to 30fps....although now I may as well be playing on a console. grrrrrr

Ugh...maybe it's time to ditch the 8400.

Why would you lock it at 30 fps? Turn off vsync in game and go into nvidia control panel and set vertical sync to adaptive..... 50 is still better than 30.

Stephen Myers

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Why would you lock it at 30 fps? Turn off vsync in game and go into nvidia control panel and set vertical sync to adaptive..... 50 is still better than 30.
Yes it is technically better, but my eyes don't see a noticeable difference until 60 is fairly constant. The skipping that goes on in the 40-50 range bothers me sometimes but I'll try locking to 45 and see what that does.

TRENDING THREADS