Question Can't activate Windows 10 after a hardware change

Koentro

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015
Hi,

I replaced a faulty Gigabyte mobo with an Asus one but now I am unable to activate Windows. I have a license I have always used since the dawn of Win 10. From there, I had 3 mobos before the current time (Gigabyte > Asus > Gigabyte) and always used the same key whenever it was necessary to format the system. When the faulty mobo was replaced this time, there was no system formatting. I spent 1 hour and 20 minutes with MS support trying all sorts of commands and procedures but it was not possible to fix the issue. I've tried the automated troubleshooting feature in the Activation window but no success either. Also, when going through the troubleshoot, it shows a list of devices, but it only contains the previous Gigabyte mobo, and the name of the machine is the same as the one I'm using now (just with a different mobo).

Would formatting the system, then reinserting the license code work in this case to make it able to activate Windows?

Windows: Windows 10 Pro
CPU: i7 4790
Mobo: ASUS B85m-e
RAM: 2x8 GB HyperX
PSU: Corsair CX 750M
SSD: Samsung EVO 850
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB
GPU: GTX 1070 Galax

Koentro

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015
ahhh......

Well, all you can do is try to enter that license key. A full reinstall probably is not needed.

But if you are not still a member of that university, it may be disabled.

There is no magic for this, the only entity that can fix it is Microsoft.

Hmm, the key has existed with me for over 5 years now. MS could not help fix it, maybe I should call them again, but we've tried everything already... Too bad, it is always indicating I will have to buy another license.

USAFRet

Titan
And being invalidated by the uni does not necessarily mean it shuts off on your device right then
Just maybe that it won't work for a reactivation. Like what you're seeing now.

Koentro

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015
No success contacting them, maybe because it's the first week of the year. In case I have to resort buying a new one, I wouldn't have any problems again with hardware changes, since the new license would be tied to my e-mail, right? Meaning I can use it forever, is that right?

USAFRet

Titan
No success contacting them, maybe because it's the first week of the year. In case I have to resort buying a new one, I wouldn't have any problems again with hardware changes, since the new license would be tied to my e-mail, right? Meaning I can use it forever, is that right?
If you buy a valid license, not grey market...it should work "forever". And in the future, be good to transfer to a new system with Win 11 or 12.

Koentro

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015
If you buy a valid license, not grey market...it should work "forever". And in the future, be good to transfer to a new system with Win 11 or 12.
Great. I am very strict with paying for original products, so the grey market is out of question, still thanks for the info on the fact they may not work the same. What do you mean transferring to a new system? Like, is there any step I should do before upgrading or so?

One more question, sorry if it is a silly one: upon purchase, does the key become automatically tied to my email?

USAFRet

Titan
Great. I am very strict with paying for original products, so the grey market is out of question, still thanks for the info on the fact they may not work the same. What do you mean transferring to a new system? Like, is there any step I should do before upgrading or so?

One more question, sorry if it is a silly one: upon purchase, does the key become automatically tied to my email?
It will be linked to your MS account.
For a future Win 11/12 system, that linkage will allow you to apply that license to the new system.