Question Can't add additional com ports

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
I'm trying to install software which requires additional com ports (drivers) (I5 gen 8 desktop, Windows 11 Home). The software is WSJT-X its a Ham Radio application that runs a new digital communications protocol (FT8). I'm using it with a Yaesu FT-710. Yaesu is aware of the requirements of the software and they have posted a link to the drivers on their website. FT-710 USB Driver Virtual COM Port Driver (Windows 11/10) ( 216.45 KB ) I follow the instructions, and the process finishes with a success message, but nothing happens in Device Manager.

I have successfully installed these drivers on another computer (laptop Windows 11 Home)

Any suggestions? Thanks, Jim

Last edited:

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I'm a firm believer in 6850 UARTs and good old fashioned 9-way or 25-way D-type connectors. I still have a few motherboards with COM serial port headers.

How is your i5 rig configured. I'm not conversant with FT8 but I do vaguely remember using FEC with Lincompex at work. Are you using a USB to serial port adapter to drive the Yaesu or some kind of virtual COM port?

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
Those were the good old days. The only problem was that they had to be configured in the registry. No thanks, I'm not going back. :) :) :) I'm pretty sure you won't find too many I5's with DB9's on board.

As you suspected it runs as a USB through a USB printer cable to the Yaesu.

okrobie

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2016
Problem resolved. A few day's ago I was looking at Device Manager for the 100th time and decided to pulg in the USB cable from the radio and viola!!! the two Silicon Labs driver popped up and are working great. Thanks.