Can't boot Acer laptop from USB with Hiren's Boot Disk 16.2

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I'm trying to boot my daughter's 3-month-old laptop from USB with Hiren's Boot Disk v16.2 - the one with a Windows 10 theme. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 3 A315-56-323J. It uses an i3-1005G1, 4GB RAM and 1TB HDD. It has only UEFI, no legacy boot option. I've disabled Fast Boot.

Trying to boot with HBD stops at a blue screen that says "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired" and gives the error code 0xc0000017. The boot disk is EFI enabled and can boot all other computers in the house - 3 desktops and two other laptops.

Any suggestions please? TIA

I'm trying to boot my daughter's 3-month-old laptop from USB with Hiren's Boot Disk v16.2 - the one with a Windows 10 theme. The laptop is an Acer Aspire 3 A315-56-323J. It uses an i3-1005G1, 4GB RAM and 1TB HDD. It has only UEFI, no legacy boot option. I've disabled Fast Boot.

Trying to boot with HBD stops at a blue screen that says "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired" and gives the error code 0xc0000017. The boot disk is EFI enabled and can boot all other computers in the house - 3 desktops and two other laptops.

Any suggestions please? TIA
Hallo

If you disconnect the hdd, does the problem remain?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I cannot disconnect the HDD because the laptop has a warranty seal. I don't want to void the warranty unless I really have to - and I'm not in that situation yet. The local Acer service center say that they cannot open it without voiding the warranty - even to install an SSD and additional RAM (!!). Acer CS didn't reply to my query.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Well yes, I know that there are other tools for what I want to do. But I've been using Hiren's for at least a decade and a half and am most familiar with it Besides I don't like leaving a problem unsolved.

I bought the laptop for my daughter's Ph.D. work - mainly for word processing and video conferencing - to replace her 12-year-old Samsung. The new laptop is so slow as to be barely usable - and that's not an exaggeration. Even before I received it and realised how excruciatingly slow it is, I'd intended to add an SSD and more RAM but there's a warranty seal on the cover. The local Acer service center say that they cannot open it without voiding the warranty. Acer CS doesn't reply to my query.

What I want to do now is to boot it with Hiren's boot Disk and make a backup of the C: drive with the standalone Ghost executable I have with me. Then I'll install Windows from scratch and see if there's a significant improvement over the current dismal performance. I've already tested the RAM and HDD.

I like this approach because the Ghost program is portable and doesn't need to be installed. There's no need to create a rescue disk either. Creating and restoring the ghost backup can be done after booting to any Windows-compatible environment. I also have two DOS versions.

Ghost has serious issues with GPT/UEFI disks and will not provide you with a working clone.
Look up what kind of hard drive you have and visit their website, chances are that they have a free version of acronis true image for you to use.

USB booting an iso (or a package that was made for iso) is always a hack and can fail for whatever reasons, try booting it from an actual optical drive even if you have an external one.

But since this is a preinstalled environment the most probable cause is that 4Gb just isn't enough for it to start.

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
But since this is a preinstalled environment the most probable cause is that 4Gb just isn't enough for it to start.
I booted and ran the said USB boot disk on my desktop after removing all but 2GB of RAM earlier today. Everything worked, including Ghost, but I haven't had a chance to try cloning a GPT drive yet.