Question Can't boot after clean install

Thor7791

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
I'm trying to reinstall windows on my drive but it won't boot up to complete the install. My drive is completely empty and I used a Linux live environment to clear out the old contents of the drive to avoid any partition table problems.

Specs:
r7 3700x
Asus tuf gaming x570-plus
GTX 1070
16gb Corsair DDR4 ram
2tb WD Blue SSD
Corsair CX650m PSU

I don't think it's a hardware problem since it was working yesterday™ and I can install and run Ubuntu on it without any issues. Every hardware diagnostic I have run on my disk and memory have returned no problems. My BIOS is up to date and I reset my CMOS. Only one drive is connected to my machine. I even tried the classic trick of unplugging the USB install drive while the system is restarting for the first time just in case it's getting confused there.

When I try to install from the USB install drive, everything seems fine. It runs the installer and goes to restart. From here, I can see the spinning dots beneath my motherboard's logo spin 3 times then freeze. I've tried every recovery option in the install drive itself. Startup repair just fails and system restores don't do anything since there's nothing on the SSD. I can interrupt the boot of the system itself a few times to access the system recovery options. Trying to enter safe mode from here throws an error saying I can't enter safe mode until Windows is done installing. All of the other options fail there, as well. I can run the CMD diagnostics Windows recommends to check disk health and boot issues and all of them return no problems. I went into the menu's reset option and tried to download and install windows through there while wiping the drive. It made it to 73% of the way through the install before freezing. At this point I'm out of ideas. I've installed Windows dozens of times without issue. Does anyone have any thoughts?

(I did see this post but didn't want to hijack their question)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe try redo usb with media creation tool again. How long are you waiting after it appears to be frozen?

Not long ago this person had to wait a few minutes. Might be the same deal?

If you have tried waiting like he has, try redo the usb stick.

Thor7791

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Maybe try redo usb with media creation tool again. How long are you waiting after it appears to be frozen?

Not long ago this person had to wait a few minutes. Might be the same deal?

If you have tried waiting like he has, try redo the usb stick.

I’ll try remaking the drive. I let it sit frozen for about 30 minutes once before deciding it probably wasn’t finishing.

Thor7791

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
I remade the install drive and it froze again in the install. However, it did make it further through the process than usual. The spinning dots made it 5 full rotations before freezing instead of just 3.

Thor7791

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Still the same. I can go to Best Buy tomorrow morning to pick up some new parts to test but I don't even know what I would get at this point. There isn't a clear hardware problem but something definitely isn't right. The ram, cpu, and motherboard are all ~3 months old and haven't caused me any issues so far. A PSU problem seems unlikely since there just isn't anything pointing to that. It isn't some weird gpu/igpu compatibility problem since the 3700x doesn't even have an igpu.

Thor7791

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
It shouldn't have done anything. I installed it to the drive just to run some other checks because I figured Linux would yell about any obvious errors that Windows was silently failing on. But I cleared out the drive so it should be like new.

TRENDING THREADS