Matifls

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi,
Today I have just upgraded my CPU from r3 2200g into r5 2600x .

After I installed the CPU, I tried booting the computer but now it does not work. Before the replacement, everything worked just perfectly. Cables are great too.

Key notes:
-Diag Speaker makes 1 long and 2 short beeps (not repeatedly, just once).
-The GPU starts spinning the fans for two seconds after start, then stop the fans completely.
-There is no display (Monitor and cables are fine).
-Every light inside the case works and the CPU fan spins correctly.
-I have noticed a little weird, what seems like a burn mark, on my GPU. I never had issues with the GPU and never looked at it from up close before, it was working great up to the CPU replacement. The mark is tiny, brownish in color, nothing that would worry me any other day. Heres a picture of it - https://ibb.co/Tv1qFYr
-I tried resetting the CMOS a few times.
-I have repositioned the RAM with no results.

Mobo: ASUS A320M-k
GPU: GTX 970
CPU: R5 2600X (Freshly bought today)
PSU: EVGA 650 GQ Gold

Pls send help :(

Matifls

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Was the graphics card install in the PC when you were using the R3 2200G?
Can you verify that your display is connected to one of your graphic card outputs and not one of the motherboard outputs?

-Wolf sends
Yes and yes. Like i said, the GPU was working great to the moment of the replacement

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Update:

I just tried the setup with a different gpu, r9 380, and it gives me the same issue. Same beep code, no display. It must be something else.
That code is a memory error.
Remove and reinstall the memory, from their I would look for bent pins on the processor.

Edit I see you have already reseated the memory so I would look for bent CPU pins.

Last edited:

Matifls

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
That code is a memory error.
Remove and reinstall the memory, from their I would look for bent pins on the processor.

Edit I see you have already reseated the memory so I would look for bent CPU pins.

Yes, i have reseated the DIMM twice now, tried it both ways.

I have looked for bent pins, none found.

There is a slight drip of thermal paste in the CPU socket, in two holes, although does not look terrifying to me. Although in case it may be it, i tried using a sewing needle to get it out, without much success but it did clean up half of it.

I have come to the conclusion the motherboard needs a motherboard update for this new CPU to work, as mentioned on PCPartPicker. So here is what I have done:

I took the cpu out, and put my older CPU, r3 2200g, back in.

Now, the computer gives me that same error with this CPU, which it did not before I tried replacing it.

It does not Post, so I can not get into my BIOS to update it. It gives me 3 beeps. Same as before.

I will try getting the thermal paste out as much as I possibly can, even if there is not much of it, and see where that takes me.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, i have reseated the DIMM twice now, tried it both ways.

I have looked for bent pins, none found.

There is a slight drip of thermal paste in the CPU socket, in two holes, although does not look terrifying to me. Although in case it may be it, i tried using a sewing needle to get it out, without much success but it did clean up half of it.

I have come to the conclusion the motherboard needs a motherboard update for this new CPU to work, as mentioned on PCPartPicker. So here is what I have done:

I took the cpu out, and put my older CPU, r3 2200g, back in.

Now, the computer gives me that same error with this CPU, which it did not before I tried replacing it.

It does not Post, so I can not get into my BIOS to update it. It gives me 3 beeps. Same as before.

I will try getting the thermal paste out as much as I possibly can, even if there is not much of it, and see where that takes me.

It does need a newer BIOS version than the 2200G needs but just the next step up, you will need to put your old chip back in.

Matifls

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015

It does need a newer BIOS version than the 2200G needs but just the next step up, you will need to put your old chip back in.

Yeah, I have done so.

Like I mentioned before, both CPU's now provide me with the same error. I am now lost of any more ideas. Even with the old CPU, I can not go into BIOS and I get three beeps too. The old CPU would not give me that error before I tried installing the new CPU in.

I have just cleaned the little amount of thermal paste out of the socket, no positive result, same error.

Edit update:

I have just successfully updated the BIOS using the previous CPU (Turns out I didnt push the RAM far enough last time i switched it). My setup works fine with the r3 2200g.

After I updated the BIOS, i reinstalled the new CPU again. Issue still persists. For some reason the diag speaker is not making any sound either. GPU fan spins for a second and then stops, no display.

Edit update 2:
With the new CPU, R5 2600X, the computer now wont boot, the GPU fans stop spinning after two seconds and now i get no beeps at all. I tried booting without the memory, and it gave me the same beeps i had in the very beggining, one long and two short beeps. With the memory installed back in, i get no beeps.

Last edited: