Question Can't boot after installing M.2 WD SN770

qwiksilvertrav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hey everyone.

So installed this drive on a z390 Aorus Ultra motherboard. Installed it and when I went to boot up the PC fires up but I get no video at all. Fault code on the motherboard says 7F. So I uninstalled it and same deal. Wtf. Figured maybe it deactivated a sata channel but after uninstalling it I get the same code and behavior.
The OS is installed on a M.2 drive in bay 3 and was installing this on bay 1.

What happened??

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
I your bios is similar to mine, 370a, goto advanced, then boot, and look for a boot override. I have 7 hard drives and only 1 is the boot drive. But the boot override lets you try to boot, if it fails the same bios page reappears and I can try another drive. I recently made a disc backup and recovered it to another drive, Then I had two identical drives to choose from. The ssd was the faster than a striped raid and it was fun having two identical drives, I had to create a folder on one so I could tell which one was which. lol

qwiksilvertrav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Well one problem is I can't even see anything. I get no video signal when I boot up to even see anything that's going on. :( Should I unplug the monitor from the video card and plug it into the motherboard instead?

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
Well one problem is I can't even see anything. I get no video signal when I boot up to even see anything that's going on. :( Should I unplug the monitor from the video card and plug it into the motherboard instead?
YES, definately plug your monitor into the mobo's video, I had a video card go out and had to replace it. It gradually got worse and took longer and longer to fire up after boot finished. Finally it quit altogether, That's no software issue that I know of. Make sure you didn't disable your mobo's video . Like others said, reset the bios to default, Also check for an updated bios. Generally removing the battery or shorting two pins with a jumper can reset the bios. Wait a while after pulling the battery for the caps to discharge. One guy said it took two days, that was 30 years ago, lol Also, are you sure you didn't change the monitor input by accident. Maybe it's supposed to be on hdmi or something.

Last edited:

qwiksilvertrav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Update. So I looked more into the m.2 slots. There's from top to bottom M2M which disables Sata 4 and 5 with a PCIe (samsung EVO PCIe oringally insntalled here with the OS installed being the boot drive), M2A (empty) and M2P (empty).

I added the 1 TB to the M2A and got the 7F code and no video.

Today I found the M2A and M2P have no sata conflicts if using a PCIe M.2 drive. So I took out my video card and slid them down to the bottom two bays. Plugged my monitor into the MB.

Fired it up and now I get a A2 code. Ugh But I did get video now...but only a dash to the upper left and that's it.

I reset the CMOS, took the battery out for 5 or 10 seconds. No luck. Same behavior.

This new drive is really wreaking havoc! Any ideas??

qwiksilvertrav

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
UPDATE: All good now. I unplugged a SSD I had hooked via Sata. Seems when I plugged in the new drive initially I caused some SATA conflicts which must have messed up the boot order in the BIOS.
Luckily for me the SSd drive that was most accesible was causing the issue. Unplugged it, got into the BIOS, set the correct boot order and boom good. All drives show up in the BIOS so seems all is fine and I can finally move on to installing my PLEX server which I why I got this new M.2 drive in the first place.

Alan Alan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2022
UPDATE: All good now. I unplugged a SSD I had hooked via Sata. Seems when I plugged in the new drive initially I caused some SATA conflicts which must have messed up the boot order in the BIOS.
Luckily for me the SSd drive that was most accesible was causing the issue. Unplugged it, got into the BIOS, set the correct boot order and boom good. All drives show up in the BIOS so seems all is fine and I can finally move on to installing my PLEX server which I why I got this new M.2 drive in the first place.
Kinda strange how a sata device can disable a video card. This bios may have a bug in it, you better check for bios updates.