Can't boot after system restore

Alex_1856

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Hey, so I got into a really big mess with booting my PC. I had windows 8.1 installed on my ssd, using a usb media tool on a usb. I wanted to wipe my system and start over, so I did a system restore. After the restore I might have formatted the ssd which deleted everything in it. Now whenever I boot the ssd I get error code 0xc00000f. I'm limited to 3 options 2 which does nothing but refresh the screen and the third forcing me to go into bios. The screen describes needing a repair tool or something, which I've tried using a usb for. I can't figure this out, I tried everything, I even used my HDD to reinstall windows on that, but it says insert correct boot or media drive. I don't understand anymore.

I think that my pc still thinks windows is installed on my ssd and is trying to load it, but there is nothing there to recover, repair, or do anything.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i never used 8 but if its anything like 10, the best option is boot from win 8.1 install disc/usb and after the screen that asks for languages, select repair this pc, NOT INSTALL
Now choose troubleshoot
select automatic repair

if this doesn't help, try it again and on screen with troubleshoot, press refresh your pc

why did you run system restore if you wanted to wipe drive? if you wanted to wipe it, best way is to just do a custom install. or diskpart

0xc00000f.

The bootable device, or partition is not found on the current drive.
Possible causes.

The Sata interface mode selected at the time of install differs from the current one selected.

In other words if in the bios the Sata interface was set to Sata mode, and has changed to IDE ect.
Or the existing drive was part of or set to Raid mode as a raid 0 or 1 array.
Raid mode must be selected over Ahci mode.

If the existing drive was setup as a raid 0 or 1 array.
The array must be cleaned, wiped and formatted using the extended raid setup and preparation section of your bios.
To do this you have to enable raid mode in the bios for example.

Then you have to enter the raid set up formatting, and break the array if you intend to use the existing two drives created for an array back to single drive use.

If you format a drive by normal format it messes up the booting of any raid array of 0 or 1 where two or more hard drives are paired together to create the raid array.

When you try to install windows it will also fail with the error code of. 0xc00000f
Due to the fact the prior mode was set to raid in your bios but has changed to Ahci mode as the formatting differs. from Raid mode to Ahci, or Sata modes. Along with any attempt to boot from the drive to an existing OS on it.

Basically you need to know what Sata mode the drive was using, and if it was a single stand alone drive.
Or if you created any sort of raid 0 or 1 array when you installed windows on the SSD drive.

Formatting a drive by normal means, damages a raid array, and since the information of a raid 0 or 1 array is spanned or mirrored over two drives to create one volume or presented drive.
The system has problems with booting a prior working OS on the drive.
Giving a 0xc00000f error code.

Alex_1856

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016

I booted up into bios and found the section where I can switch from AHCI to RAID, but I don't remember if I installed it on either. At the time I put my computer together I just put in the media boot tool usb and installed windows. I don't know if RAID or AHCI is default or if I made changes during the installation..

*Update*
I went through my motherboard manual and it says the default is set to AHCI, so now I'm not sure what to do if that's the case...