Question Can't boot anymore, hardware issue ?

Jun 1, 2020
I can't boot my computer anymore after weird events.

Let me summarize what happened:
First, everything was working fine for 1/2weeks on that new PC, but it began to crash every 20 minutes with some dcom 1084 errors:
IMG-20200531-204038-compress61.jpg

then after few reboot and crash, it refused to boot anymore, with a blue screen.

IMG-20200531-224455-compress98.jpg

Next I decided to boot with a live ubuntu usb to backup some files. But it keep crashing:

IMG-20200601-002011-compress12.jpg

With Mce hardware errors.
I tried to do memtest scan, either it freeze or it print cpu errors:
IMG-20200601-122346-compress54.jpg

Finally, I reinstalled Windows fine but after 30 minutes it refused to boot anymore with the same bluescreen than as the previous one.

I don't understand why it is doing that, because the pc is one week old and was working fine until yesterday.

Some info on what I did:
  • i didn't overclocked anything
  • the psu is a 650w seasonic gold, I don't think that is the issue and it didn't crashed at load, so why at idle ?
  • I tried a friend's ram and the pc keep crashing, so my ram is ok I think - my bios is up to date, and I flashed it once more. - clear cmos did nothing
  • I tried to swap ram slot, it did nothing
  • It is not a thermal issue, the pc is "cold" in idle.
Any clue is welcome, i really need this pc for work :)

Components:
Ryzen 3600
Gpu 5700 xt
Ram 2x8 corsair pro 3200mhz
Motherboard msi b450 pro carbon ac
Psu seasonics core gold 650
1to ssd sabrent nvme

Have a nice day !

Jun 1, 2020
Did you build it yourself ?
Yes, and not the first one, I am pretty experienced. Never seen this in idle.

Actually I switched AMD cool n quiet from auto to enabled and I succesfully reinstalled everything without a crash. I don't really understant why, but I will update this thread is the issue come back.

EDIT: It has not solved the issue. In the Windows's event log, it says that a critical Kernel-Power (event 41) happened.

Last edited:
I think that when Memtest getting CPU errors, there is some serious issue going on here.

So you can build a lot of computers over the years, and yet you can encounter a motherboard or CPU that is bad from the start, or have some problem with the PCB tracks and can't withstand normal handling (user force RAM or CPU down in the slots while motherboard is mounted on it's standoffs).
Maybe there is some mechanical stress that appeared while mounting the motherboard. Personally I never fully tightens the screws before all the components toward the cabinet are fastened (usually only graphic card these days) to the cabinet.

I believe something have happened while the motherboard was being installed.

Maybe somehow the CPU didn't get proper connection while seated, that is rare. You could always try to take off the CPU and put it back again. Look for broken pins.

Jun 1, 2020
I think that when Memtest getting CPU errors, there is some serious issue going on here.

So you can build a lot of computers over the years, and yet you can encounter a motherboard or CPU that is bad from the start, or have some problem with the PCB tracks and can't withstand normal handling (user force RAM or CPU down in the slots while motherboard is mounted on it's standoffs).
Maybe there is some mechanical stress that appeared while mounting the motherboard. Personally I never fully tightens the screws before all the components toward the cabinet are fastened (usually only graphic card these days) to the cabinet.

I believe something have happened while the motherboard was being installed.

Maybe somehow the CPU didn't get proper connection while seated, that is rare. You could always try to take off the CPU and put it back again. Look for broken pins.
Sure ! But the broken motherboard I already encountered would not boot at all (not even in the bios).
An issue that specific is really weird to my mind. I am writing this message with the computer which could crash at any time just with google Chrome opened.

I noticed some people on AMD community have the same issue (google 3600 idle crash). Following their advices I reverted to a previous bios. Now memtest works correctly but still getting crashes on windows while idle.

I am going to follow your advice and try to take off the cpu and put it back. Then testing with another CPU. If not, RMA the motherboard, else RMA the CPU.
Before that I am testing with manual frequency and voltage, because it could also be a very bad silicon lottery with bad auto voltage at idle (not an expert).

Anyway I will let you know if I am figuring out how to solve this for anyone encountering the same issues. :confused_old: