Can't Boot. Black screen and blinking cursor

TH3W1R3D

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Hey guys, seeking some support with an issue I'm having regarding my Dell with Windows 7 x64.

Initially I got the message "Loading PBR for descriptor 2... Done". That's all it said, and did not continue to boot. I researched the error message and found many users with similar problems that solved it by booting the Windows 7 dvd and running bootrec.exe from the command prompt, so I attempted this. I tried bootrec with the /fixmbr, /fixboot, and /rebuildbcd options.

After trying to fix my problem with bootrec, the "loading pbr" message no longer appears, all I get is a blank screen with a blinking cursor after the BIOS.

I'm not sure what the problem or solution is at this point. I'm not sure if I've made things better or worse.

I tried running chkdsk /r but it won't run, complaining that the disk is write protected.

:cry:

Edit: I just realized that System Recovery Options is showing "Operating system: Unknown on (Unknown) Local Disk"

Guys do you have any advice?

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
when you boot from windows disc, and go to I believe its the recovery options or advanced options. Command prompt. From command prompt can you still naviagate around on your hard drive? You know see your directories, access different folders.

If so at the very least you will be able to backup your info.

As far as fixing the problem looks like you already have went through the normal ways to fix problems like that. Only other thing which I dont believe would be possible because its saying unknown OS. would be to try a system restore using the windows disc. But like I said im pretty sure you first need to be able to see that there is an operating system on the drive which yours is not showing.

If you can't navigate through your directories with command prompt and nobody else replies you might just have to start over :( I hope you have been backing up on some type of schedule.

TH3W1R3D

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007

I tried the command "cd /d C:" from recovery command prompt.

I get "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."