Can't Boot, C: Drive is RAW

hdbejfuwbdhfiwhdh

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
My laptop (Windows 10) would not boot either due to me being to rough with it or me turning it off at the wrong moment. I think it is a hard drive issue.
When it turns on, it first says "preparing automatic repair," then continues to a black screen. After a lot of loading it comes to the Windows boot option menu. I have tried the startup setting button, the system restore button and automatic repair.
I also used the command prompt button and tried the commands I am about to mention and these are the results.
"c:" and "cd c:"
The command could not be performed because of an I/O error.
"chkdsk /r /X c:
The type of the filesystem is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

When I tried to refresh the PC I was told that it couldn't be performed because "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."
I found a possible solution to this issue that would let me refresh the PC and tried to change the active partition in order to fix this using diskpart commands. But it wouldn't let me change active partitions and I can't remember why, but it takes a long time for the PC to load again and for cmd to open (~2 hours) so I will come back later to present the error later.

Any help or explanation would be appreciated. I'd guess the hard drive is broken but would like to recover files if possible.

Solution
Hi there hdbejfuwbdhfiwhdh,

My suggestion would be to take the drive out, attach it as a secondary one to a working machine and try to access it.
You can attach it either externally (SATA to USB adapter) or internally(SATA & power cables). Once attached, you will need to run some RAW drive, data recovery tools.
If you manage to retrieve the data, it may be a good idea to test the drive: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
Depending on that, you can see if the drive can be used or you will need to replace it.

Keep in mind that sometimes, failed drives could appear as RAW.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there hdbejfuwbdhfiwhdh,

My suggestion would be to take the drive out, attach it as a secondary one to a working machine and try to access it.
You can attach it either externally (SATA to USB adapter) or internally(SATA & power cables). Once attached, you will need to run some RAW drive, data recovery tools.
If you manage to retrieve the data, it may be a good idea to test the drive: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
Depending on that, you can see if the drive can be used or you will need to replace it.

Keep in mind that sometimes, failed drives could appear as RAW.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution