cant boot, endless restart loop, all fans & hdd spinning

May 22, 2014
i have two systems

1. core i3 3rd gen, one RAM stick ddr3, antec psu, giga byte board, win 10
2. core2duo, two RAM stick ddr2, cooler master 460watt psu, asus board, win 7

so heres a detailed account of all the that came to pass in a span of about a week (bear with me plz)

one fine day theres a power surge (no ups) and the psu on the c2d gets fried, smoke coming out from the psu while the system was off (just plugged in). the i3 was completely disconnected so no problem there.
took out the c2d psu, turned it on, sparks come out the back so its definitely a no go. then i take out the psu from the i3, plug it in the c2d system, it works fine.

a few days later i need to access the i3 so i disconnect the psu to plug it back in the i3. It doesnt boot. all fans spin including psu fan, hdd spins, no beep, no display, no keyboard light. i dismantle the whole system, theres beeping when you take out the RAM but otherwise the same result. I even cleared the CMOS changed the mb battery, put the board out on a cardboard, removed all hdds, tired switching it on only from the power jumpers. but no display. took the components to a friend, tried a psu from a dell i3 system, same result.

heres the fun part. during the above ordeal, i reconnect the psu into the c2d system, no boot, all fans spin including psu fan, hdd spins, no display, no keyboard light, the difference - one beep and the system goes into endless restart. the psu needs to be unplugged to end this cycle coz holding the case power button doesnt turn it off. then just replug the psu i turn it on with the casing switch, after maybe 3-4 seconds, a beep and then restart and repeat. cleared CMOS n changed mb battery as well. remove the rams theres beeping, placed one ram n then the other n in different slots. havent tried this pc with a different psu yet.

cant help but wonder whats gone wrong and what to do. can any one think of anything i might have missed?

Mar 16, 2019
Had the same problem, make sure that your ram is fully put in, and the clips are shut. All the clips, the ones with no ram and the ones filled, should look the same.
There could have been a short and the motherboard and stuff got screwed up by moving the psu around.