Can't boot from bootable USB drive

Sam__molloy

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
I just built a pc and I am trying to install windows 10 from my bootable usb that I created using the windows software that creates a bootable usb. My motherboard is Asrock 980DE3. The USB isn't coming up as a drive to boot to. If there is no fix can should I buy a windows 8.1 cd and a portable dvd drive and boot from there?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my first build.

Had a look through then manual for the board and found one possible solution:

Enter the BIOS and go to Advanced > USB Configuration > Make sure Legacy USB Support is set to Enabled, or Auto (either setting should work for your purposes). Also make sure that the USB port you are connecting the drive you prepared earlier is 2.0. Some USB 3.0 ports are rather picky about allowing devices to boot, especially if they are connected to third party controllers on the motherboard. Your mobo happens to use the Etron EJ188, so booting from it could very well be an issue.

Sam__molloy

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

I've managed to get onto the windows 10 installation screen but it says the device drivers aren't there. Any idea on a fix for this?

Sam__molloy

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

I tried that and had no results. Still prompts me to load driver and says no device drivers are found.

Sam__molloy

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015

I'm just using a usb drive and plugging into a USB port. What do you mean by different sata port?
P.s This is my first build

The SATA port the hard drive you are trying to detect is connected internally. Try moving it to a different one.

980DE3U3S3(L1).jpg

Image of your board is shown above. If the drive you're trying to install to is connected to one of the two gray sata ports at the left-center of the image, try moving it to one of the 6 black sata ports at the far left. Once connected to one of those black ports, the Windows 10 installer should detect the drive.

Of important note for later - If the drive you are trying to make the Win10 installer find is a solid state drive:

Don't install Windows 10 quite yet... we just want to figure out if it is detected in a port on one controller, versus another controller. The gray ports are connected to the ASMedia controller, which operates much faster than the black ports (6Gbps, vs. 3Gbps). If you connect an SSD to the slower 3Gbps controller, you'll be handicapping it's read and write speeds resulting in a slower experience.

If the drive is a standard rotating, magnetic media hard drive, ignore everything in the last paragraph above. Regular hard drives (even modern ones) aren't fast enough to take advantage of the faster controller speed offered on those gray ports, thus it would make no difference which one you connected it to (save for the issue you are having now with the drive being detected). Your experience once Win10 was installed would be essentially the same in either case.

To sum all of that up: If you have an SSD, we want to try and make it work on the faster gray ports *if at all possible*. If it's a regular hard drive, then as soon as you can get Windows 10 to see the drive, install away!