Can't boot from CD Drive

moonflower5682

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Hello,
I have successfully used MiniTool Drivewipe to wipe my hard drive on my Dell Dimension 4600 (7 passes). Upon completion of the wipe, I received the message: The registry cannot load hive file... It is corrupt, absent, or not writeable.
Note: Before I did the wipe, I tried reinstalling the Windows XP operating system from the original installation CD, but could not boot from the CD. (I have changed the boot order to boot from the CD). I know the XP CD is good because I just used it on my old laptop before selling it. I know the CD drive is working because it was able to read other CDs.
I am now trying again to reload Windows XP from the original installation CD, but cannot boot from the CD. (I have changed the boot order to boot from the CD). When I attempt to boot from the CD I get “Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility”. I intended to sell this PC for not much money, but would need to get it running again. Could you advise me as to what it might need? Would a new hard drive fix it?
Thanks for any advise.
MJ

moonflower5682

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Thanks, but the DVD-Rom drive is 16x and the CD-RW drive is 48x (I have tried the XP boot disc in each of these with the same result).