[SOLVED] Can't boot from cloned SSD

Jun 30, 2020
Hello, i have recently tried to clone my Harddrive with windows onto a new SSD using Macrium reflect. When i did it i selected the C: drive as well as the reserved partition and copied them across to the SSD so it was exactly the same as the HDD, went to bed and left it. This morning it appears as though everything has been cloned but i cannot boot from the SSD. I have tried selecting and making the SSD priority in the Bias but when i do this i get a cannot boot message.

I have also tried disconnecting my old drive and using the same port/cable the old drive was in but still can't boot. The weird thing is disk management recognises the SSD as does my computer..so no issue there. The other thing to note was the SSD was smaller than the old drive so i had to delete some stuff before cloning to make room. I gave myself about 10gb leeway(i know isnt much) but i intended to clean up more room on the SSD once it had cloned.

I have also done some browsing on here but not finding anything that seems like a solution. What can i do? I dont want to have to reinstall windows and all my software as that will be a massive headache for me. I'm on Windows 7 and i have decided to give the clone a second try before giving up.

Solution
Once you get to that 400GB consumed space, redo it.

Thusly:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the...

USAFRet

Titan

Thusly:

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Power up
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution
Jun 30, 2020

Thusly:

Power off
Power up
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
Hey, i have done what you said got the space below 400gb, ran the cloner it said successful etc. Then i disconnected old drive and use same port/cable for ssd then when i try to boot it still says to reboot and select proper boot device. I have checked the bias and its already selected as priority but i still cant boot. Whats going on here?

Jun 30, 2020
Disk 1 is the target drive, correct?
Somehow, that System Reserved partition did not get marked as System and Active.

Ty it again and see what happens.
If it still fails, we'll explore other options.
Thats correct, i can try again but i got a feeling it wont. I noticed that if i right click on the system reserved there is an option to mark as active. Could it be that simple?

Jun 30, 2020
Quite possibly.
Try it.
Ok having tried this here's what i have got. In the disk management you can see it now says system active etc. View: https://imgur.com/sOG8kow

And when i went into the bios and set the SSD to priority it it did boot fine. However when i actually unplugged the old drive and tried to boot it didnt boot, instead i got this message.
View: https://imgur.com/qcJVwZc

Does that mean that it is booting from the ssd or is it still booting from the old one even though its not selected as the priority etc?

Redo the clone operation using macrium reflect just as USAFret described.
Apparently the system reserved partition or possibly another hidden partition did not get properly moved.
As an alternative, Crucial has some clone utilities that you can try. I don't know how well they work.

Jun 30, 2020
Redo the clone operation using macrium reflect just as USAFret described.
Apparently the system reserved partition or possibly another hidden partition did not get properly moved.
As an alternative, Crucial has some clone utilities that you can try. I don't know how well they work.
Thanks, i will try again but this will be the third time lol.

TRENDING THREADS