Can't boot from good Linux Mint external hard drive with Asrock z97 Extreme 6/ac

SamtheCamel

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
I'm having a problem with using Linux Mint on my desktop.

The motherboard is as in the title and using the latest bios. The usb hard drive is a WD 2 terabyte "My Passport Ultra" USB 3 drive.

The motherboard is not secure boot enabled.

OK- I tried to install Mint and the system hung once or twice so I went to my Asus laptop (which has secure boot enabled if that matters) and the process was painless.

If I go back to the desktop and connect the WD it boots into windows 10 if I hit F11 for the boot menu on the WD drive. No joy.

I then went into the BIOS and set the WD to first boot device- booted into W10. disabled all drives in the boot order but the WD. Booted into W10. I then went into the USB HDD menu and moved the WD to the top. Booted into W10.

I then went into the SATA HDD menu and disabled everything. This time it didn't boot into W10 because there was only the WD drive showing in anything. The system wanted a bootable drive.

Thinking perhaps the drive might have gone south I plugged into the lappy and set the boot order and no problem at all.

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Solution
well I seen when I used the live dvd when the boot priority came up to pick boot device there was 2 optical drives listed [I only have one ] one was for uefi one was not that's where it counted ?? I loaded up on the uefi drive selection [???] and ran in to the booting issue . thing is I just unhook my windows drive to boot to mint when I should of just reinstalled [found all this out after the fact kinda thing ]

like I said I never seen this before with mint 15 or below just when I went to 17 ??

anyway just thought it maybe something to look at if you use the live dvd to load up with ? - I don't use the pendrive way so don't know what would go on there with it ...
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2176132

for my last mint install I goofed and did not notice you now choose uefi or legacy so with that [uefi] it wiould not boot if my windows hard drive was connected [never had that issue before ]

they changed something it ws the first time I had a booting issue using 2 separate drives could not even choose from the boot priority list of installed drives [crazy] mint 15 went as normal as can be -0- issues but 17 I seen this pop up

don't know if any of that helps but good luck

SamtheCamel

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016

I haven't had a chance to act on your post but there is no UEFI listed. Perhaps if I enable secure booting it will show and then it might work? I don't know why that would do anything but that's all I have left at least for now.

well I seen when I used the live dvd when the boot priority came up to pick boot device there was 2 optical drives listed [I only have one ] one was for uefi one was not that's where it counted ?? I loaded up on the uefi drive selection [???] and ran in to the booting issue . thing is I just unhook my windows drive to boot to mint when I should of just reinstalled [found all this out after the fact kinda thing ]

like I said I never seen this before with mint 15 or below just when I went to 17 ??

anyway just thought it maybe something to look at if you use the live dvd to load up with ? - I don't use the pendrive way so don't know what would go on there with it ...

Solution