Question Can't boot from IDE windows XP drive but can access it normally in Windows 7

Jan 28, 2020
I have a very old (160GB) IDE drive from an old Vaio desktop with Windows XP on it. Whenever I try to boot from it through my Gigabyte GA-EX58-UG5 motherboard (bc it's the only one that has both SATA and IDE), the XP boot screen shows up but it blue screen immediately after, too fast to ever read or record any error code.

I also have two newer (2013 ish) SATA drives from my normal computer (different motherboard, Asrock Z77) with windows 7 on them, and when I boot them through the Gigabyte mobo, they boot just fine into W7. From W7 I can even read/write access the XP drive pretty normally. Now I'm just wondering if there is anything I can try to do to boot from the XP drive. I've read from another thread that a drive installed in another computer won't boot if installed in another computer (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/sata-to-ide-recognized-but-cant-boot-from.675515/), so is there anything I can do?

Jan 28, 2020
"I've read from another thread that a drive installed in another computer won't boot if installed in another computer "

<<<<Many times this is true....and it may be true for you.

Why do you want to do this?

Just to get the data off of the IDE drive. For example, to get the browser bookmarks/history from user accounts on the IDE