Cant boot from m.2 nvme ssd

Apr 19, 2018
My samsung 960 nvme ssd 250 GB can be seen as a boot option in my bios but when i boot from it it says that i need to boot from a bootable device.

I was able to install windows 10 on my nvme ssd but when it reboots to continue the installation it says "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" or something similar to that

Mobo: msi z97 gaming 3
Havent touched a thing in my bios settings except updating the bios to the latest update

Solution
You said you had files on there, can you copy what you need so you can do a clean install?
What I mean is when setup gets to the part where it shows your partitions, I always delete all of them so only unallocated space is left. Then I hit next and let Windows do the rest. Never have issues with this method.
Apr 19, 2018

I already had files in the ssd before i installed a new OS in it
And yes, i do have my old HDD still connected

edit: I'll try that right away

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Ok, so what likely happened is when the install was going, it installed the boot record to your old hard drive.
What you can try is unplugging your old drive, then boot from windows media and run the startup repair and it should now boot from the SSD. Once you are booting and have rebooted successfully you can add your old hard drive back.

Apr 19, 2018

In the boot manager inside boot menu the ssd is prioritized first by default, but i still manually placed the ssd as boot option 1 in the boot menu and then tried but it still showed the same message " Reboot and Select proper boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Select Boot Device and Press a key".

Loading in the optimized defaults in the BIOS and manually selecting the SSD in the F11 boot selection, yields the same message.

I am now gonna try what you just suggested

BadAsAl

Distinguished
You said you had files on there, can you copy what you need so you can do a clean install?
What I mean is when setup gets to the part where it shows your partitions, I always delete all of them so only unallocated space is left. Then I hit next and let Windows do the rest. Never have issues with this method.

Solution
Apr 19, 2018
Yep, that is exactly what I am doing right now. I am currently copying all important files i have so that I can format the ssd.

So after that, I just have to format the partition and leave the partitioning to Windows Installer?

BaRoMeTrIc

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
This is a common occurrence with nvme drives. Because they use pcie to boot sometimes the communication gets lost and it tries to boot from any ahci device you have. I think this is a windows problem because it seems to happen to me after every windows update or BSOD. Also if you had windows on a sata ssd and cloned it onto your nvme drive even though you reformat your sata ssd the windows bootstrapper is still on your sata ssd. All you have you do is select your boot order again in bios if it does happen