[SOLVED] Can't boot from SSD, PC boots from the HDD instead ?

Oct 13, 2021
Hi guys,

So today I decided to try dual boot windows 10. I want to try some tweaked Win10 ISO but also have a clean windows 10 version in case the tweaked one have an issue.

(I'm bad at wording so ill just make a timeline of what I did till now)
[ ] means what I was thinking at that time.

TLDR: I deleted Healthy EFI System Partition, Healthy Recovery Partition, and Windows Boot Manager for HDD. Installed Win10. Now I'm stuck with one boot option that is "Windows Boot Manager (SSD name)" but somehow if I boot from it, it boots to the freshly installed Win10 on the HDD instead ?

In that time before I install everything and do like USB media creation tools stuff.
I have 2 drives:
-SSD Win10 installed here as main before trying dual boot
-HDD Win10 was also installed here (let say F partition(i have 3 partitions in this drive. D and E for data. and F is where Win10) before trying dual boot but it's my old Win10 installation before I got SSD so I just keep it as a backup

Timeline

• Formatting F partition through "Disk Management" (this is the Win10 backup from old installation)
  • I also see 99MB "Healthy EFI System Partition" and 500MB "Healthy Recovery Partition" I thought that those two partitions are part of the old Win10 installation. So I format them (i know now that I'm dumb)
  • After that I make the USB media creation thing and restart to BIOS.
In BIOS I saw two Windows Boot Manager(or boot option) the first one is "Windows Boot Manager (SSD name)" [okay thats normal] and second "Windows Boot Manager (HDD name)" [wait what, I thought I already formatted the Win10 old Partition] I again thought that this is also part of the old Win10 installation.
  • So thinking that it may cause issues if I installed Win10 above Win10, I deleted the boot option. (this is again very dumb mistake)
  • Then I went on booting into the USB Media Creation thingy and do Win10 Install on Partition F.
  • The installation is complete and I boot into fresh Win10 everything working fine.
  • Ok time to installed Win10 tweaked ISO on SSD
  • So I want to go back to my main SSD Win10. Opened BIOS and Saw that only "Windows Boot Manager (SSD name)" is there. I thought that installing windows will automatically create a boot option. So I go to boot setting and only SSD one pop up.
  • After that I just went on booting with "Windows Boot Manager (SSD name)" thinking that oh maybe I'm still gonna boot to my main SSD Win10 installation
  • But I somehow it boots into my new HDD Win10 install, even though I chose to boot with "Windows Boot Manager (SSD name) ?
TLDR: I deleted Healthy EFI System Partition, Healthy Recovery Partition, and Windows Boot Manager for HDD. Installed Win10. Now I'm stuck with one boot option that is "Windows Boot Manager (SSD name)" but somehow if I boot to it, it boot me to newly installed Win10 in HDD.

Please Help!!
If you know how to fix this but haven't got time to reply with a full explanation, just reply you might know something. I'm in Panick mode right now!!

Last edited:
Solution
if you have dual windows 10...then use BCD for proper dual windows boot...its commandline
here is GUI alternative
if you have dual windows 10...then use BCD for proper dual windows boot...its commandline
here is GUI alternative

Solution
Oct 13, 2021
here is GUI alternative
Ok yeah, that fix the problem!! fweuuuh!! :sweatsmile: Thank you!!

I deleted Healthy EFI System Partition and Healthy Recovery Partition. Is this thing here important? is it gonna hurt me in a long run if i didnt fix this?