[SOLVED] Can't boot from USB

Jul 12, 2020
Hi, I am trying to install windows 10 from USB stick. (I have in the meantime downloaded the MediaTool to a second stick to try that as well). I plug in the stick and boot the PC then I get black screen message "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I went to BIOS and set boot priority to USB, still same result. I am using MSI Click BIOS 5 on a MSI Tomahawk. Thanks

EDIT: When I first started the clean install things were going fine till I made it in the Tool to the partition section. All three (I had the SSD in an Intel build before, now it is AMD) were not able to install Windows so I formatted them and also changed format to GPT. Then I got an error message that Windows cannot be installed on the 1 partition that was left, so I googled and restarted the PC. Since then I can't get past the black screen or BIOS

Solution
I was then able to boot the new pc from USB and the installation process started. When I reached partition section there were 3 (from the old setup) and I deleted all three. Afterwards it loaded the screen new and got me 1 partition to choose.
when you delete all 3, choose unallocated space and click next, it should create 4 partitions. You don't need to choose one from here, just click next. It should keep going from there.

Now after the reboot I got the black screen error message called "intel undi pxe-2.1 (build 083)". This one I was able to get rid of by disabling the "Network" in the BIOS.
that would mean its trying to boot off the network connection as it wasn't even seeing the ssd at boot.

Try this
Put USB in PC...

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you download media creation tool, did you use it to make the installer or did you just copy the tool onto the USB? If you did second, that is why it doesn't work. You run the tool and it creates the installer on the USB.

When you got the GPT error, you should delete all partitions on the ssd and click next. Windows would have created the partitions it needs.

What are specs of PC? What motherboard is this?

Try only having 1 ssd in PC while installing, less chance windows will put parts of itself on other drives.

Jul 12, 2020
Hi Colif, thanks for the reply, really appreciate it!

I have now moved to a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max Motherboard paired with a Ryzen 5 3600 and GSKILL Aegis 16GB RAM.

I took the SSD (I only have this 1 ssd) from my old Intel computer and plugged it into the new one. The system was running fine except when starting games it would crash and freeze. So I figured I should clean install windows 10. I used my USB stick 1 and downloaded the creation tool on it + used it to create the installer. I was then able to boot the new pc from USB and the installation process started. When I reached partition section there were 3 (from the old setup) and I deleted all three. Afterwards it loaded the screen new and got me 1 partition to choose. On this one I was still not able to install with a different error message and when googleing this error message the suggestion was to simply reboot and it should work on the second try. Now after the reboot I got the black screen error message called "intel undi pxe-2.1 (build 083)". This one I was able to get rid of by disabling the "Network" in the BIOS.

I booted again and now got the black screen error message that there is no bootable device, so I went to BIOS and changed booting priority to USB first. But that did not do anything. So now I was stuck that apparently after rebooting the computer does not detect the USB drive anymore. My next action was to download the creation tool on a second stick but now that you say it I did not run it..... stupid me. I will get back to my friends place and run the creation tool on the second stick. If it also does not work on the second stick, do you recon it could be an issue with the hard drive? It is so weird that the PC booted fine from the USB stick on the first try but after deleting the partitions it now doesnt boot anymore...

I will check back once I tried on the second stick! Thanks again

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was then able to boot the new pc from USB and the installation process started. When I reached partition section there were 3 (from the old setup) and I deleted all three. Afterwards it loaded the screen new and got me 1 partition to choose.
when you delete all 3, choose unallocated space and click next, it should create 4 partitions. You don't need to choose one from here, just click next. It should keep going from there.

Now after the reboot I got the black screen error message called "intel undi pxe-2.1 (build 083)". This one I was able to get rid of by disabling the "Network" in the BIOS.
that would mean its trying to boot off the network connection as it wasn't even seeing the ssd at boot.

Try this
Put USB in PC at startup
go into bios
set ssd as 1st item in boot order (or if there is a choice saying Windows Boot Manager with ssd name after it, use that)
On the save & exit screen, choose Boot Override
Choose the USB drive from the list
PC will reboot and boot from USB just once, the next boot it should use the SSD

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Your manual - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.3.pdf

Solution
Jul 12, 2020
Hi Colif, it worked! I activated the creation tool on the second USB stick and set the priority order as you said and then it worked!
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS