Question Can't boot from Windows 7 installation disc

kbriggs

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
I bought an Asus FX504G (i5, 8gb model) for university work about a year ago and the Windows 10 OEM that came pre-installed got corrupted and I was unable to install Windows again, so I was stuck with Ubuntu for the last year or so.

I've now decided that before everything starts up again at the end of next month I want to get Windows 7 on this thing as it's by far my favorite.

Issue: I cannot seem to boot from a Windows 7 or even Windows XP installation disc, the option doesn't appear in the boot menu.
The only time I get the option to boot from disc (I'm using an external DVD player due to the lack of a builtin model) is when I'm booting from a Windows 10 disc, but I'm trying to avoid Windows 10 as I don't really like it and would rather have something a little older and more familiar.

I have tried making bootable USBs of both Windows 7 and XP using ISOs created from the installation discs but no luck booting from those either.

I did install Windows 10 from disc to see if I could install Windows 7 or XP from within 10, but it wouldn't allow me to do so.

Is there something I am missing here, or is there something builtin that is preventing me from booting 7 or XP?

Lutfij

Titan
You're not going to be able to go onto Windows 7 on that laptop, no matter what you do. Even if you are able to move to Windows 7, with all the effort, it's worthless actually with support running dry in a few months time.

If your laptop came with Windows 10 initially, then all you needed to do was create a bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then reinstall the OS.

kbriggs

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
You're not going to be able to go onto Windows 7 on that laptop, no matter what you do. Even if you are able to move to Windows 7, with all the effort, it's worthless actually with support running dry in a few months time.

If your laptop came with Windows 10 initially, then all you needed to do was create a bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then reinstall the OS.
The issue is that I have a few pieces of software that won't run on Windows 10 (even in compatibility mode) and they do on 7.
As this will be a mostly offline device the support isn't much of an issue for me.

I guess I'll just have to put up with it though if I have to go to 10.
Out of curiosity, why can't I install 7 on it? Did Asus lock the BIOS somehow to prevent Windows downgrading?

kbriggs

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
Just curious, what do you have that runs on Win7 and not Win10?
First off I have a few old games that will run in 7 at the latest and don't seem to work in 10 no matter what I do, but the bigger issue is that I have older (pre-subscription) versions of Adobe software I use that won't run in 10 either.
There's also the issues I've had with rendering software that do run in 10, just not properly and not all features work.