Question Can't boot from Windows 7 installation disc

kbriggs

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
I bought an Asus FX504G (i5, 8gb model) for university work about a year ago and the Windows 10 OEM that came pre-installed got corrupted and I was unable to install Windows again, so I was stuck with Ubuntu for the last year or so.

I've now decided that before everything starts up again at the end of next month I want to get Windows 7 on this thing as it's by far my favorite.

Issue: I cannot seem to boot from a Windows 7 or even Windows XP installation disc, the option doesn't appear in the boot menu.
The only time I get the option to boot from disc (I'm using an external DVD player due to the lack of a builtin model) is when I'm booting from a Windows 10 disc, but I'm trying to avoid Windows 10 as I don't really like it and would rather have something a little older and more familiar.

I have tried making bootable USBs of both Windows 7 and XP using ISOs created from the installation discs but no luck booting from those either.

I did install Windows 10 from disc to see if I could install Windows 7 or XP from within 10, but it wouldn't allow me to do so.

Is there something I am missing here, or is there something builtin that is preventing me from booting 7 or XP?

Lutfij

Titan
You're not going to be able to go onto Windows 7 on that laptop, no matter what you do. Even if you are able to move to Windows 7, with all the effort, it's worthless actually with support running dry in a few months time.

If your laptop came with Windows 10 initially, then all you needed to do was create a bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then reinstall the OS.

kbriggs

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
You're not going to be able to go onto Windows 7 on that laptop, no matter what you do. Even if you are able to move to Windows 7, with all the effort, it's worthless actually with support running dry in a few months time.

If your laptop came with Windows 10 initially, then all you needed to do was create a bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then reinstall the OS.
The issue is that I have a few pieces of software that won't run on Windows 10 (even in compatibility mode) and they do on 7.
As this will be a mostly offline device the support isn't much of an issue for me.

I guess I'll just have to put up with it though if I have to go to 10.
Out of curiosity, why can't I install 7 on it? Did Asus lock the BIOS somehow to prevent Windows downgrading?

kbriggs

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
Just curious, what do you have that runs on Win7 and not Win10?
First off I have a few old games that will run in 7 at the latest and don't seem to work in 10 no matter what I do, but the bigger issue is that I have older (pre-subscription) versions of Adobe software I use that won't run in 10 either.
There's also the issues I've had with rendering software that do run in 10, just not properly and not all features work.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS