[SOLVED] Can't boot GA-LMT78USB R2

Jan 9, 2020
Hi, my CPU is an AMD FX-8320 with an evo12 cooler, Corsair Delta Spec case and Corsair V550 PSU. Two 8GB Ram. I have the power plugged in and en extra 4 pin cable beside it. I have a cable that splits in 2, one is for the CPU and they are both in the Micro ATX socket. I have the front panel power and reset cables in. It won't turn on. Even the fans don't spin. There are no slots for the the extra PCIe cables that come with it. Am I missing something? Does the CPU and other split cable have to be in a certain order or orientation? And same applies to the 4 pin beside the large main power cable? I can't even find a slotnfor the fans except sys and CPU. Anyone know why it won't work? I took a video:

https://streamable.com/qhzth

Really appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Solution
Whatever, you can try this: take the MB out off the case, remove all the RAM, the boot device, connect only the 24-pin and the 8-pin power cables, use onboard AMD iGPU, boot up the PC.
  1. You can boot up the PC, and you will get no RAM, no boot device errors. That means either the cpu or MB works.
  2. Or you can't boot up the PC, that means either the CPU or MB has problem. Then if you still have other working cpu, try it with your MB.
From the video, I saw you just lay the MB on the case, and I don't know you has the mb standoffs under the MB or not, because the PC looks like the new one. If there is not standoffs, the problem maybe from the electric short circuit, try to put the MB standoffs if you didn't do it yet, or move the whole thing out off the case, and try again.

Reactions: Dizzyportion
Jan 9, 2020
Thanks for your reply. It wasn't on the stand off, I was just trying to put it together to see if the CPU was good because I bought it second hand.
I have now disconnected and re-connected everything and it still won't boot.

Jan 9, 2020
Hi, thank you for your reply. I checked all the pin before installing and and they were perfect. I don't really know what to 'csuse I don't have the money to buy another FX atm.

DSzymborski

Titan
Doing this inside the case is not a thing you should ever be doing if it's not on standoffs. What you're trying to do is breadboarding, but that needs to be outside the case, on top of a surface like wood or, as commonly used, the cardboard box that the motherboard comes in.

Just sitting in the case and testing like this, the best-case scenario is that it doesn't turn on. The worst-case scenario is that your motherboard and/or CPU don't turn on --- for good.

Reactions: refillable

DSzymborski

Titan
It was sitting on the standoffs when I put the power on, just not screwed in.

Umm...that's not how standoffs work. Brass still conducts electricity, just not as much as other metals do. They're still not supposed to touch parts of the motherboard that aren't the actual hole used for mounting the motherboard. Sitting a motherboard just randomly on top of standoffs is not something that should ever be done for testing.

Reactions: WildCard999

DSzymborski

Titan
So do you actually think the mobo is fried rather than it being a cheap CPU issue? I don't think it is, it was handled carefully.

It's a possibility. You won't know until you properly breadboard. Considering you rested a motherboard awkwardly on top of standoffs to test, the motherboard most certainly was not handled carefully.

If, after testing this motherboard properly, you still get nothing, then I'd suspect a damaged motherboard and/or CPU. I'm assuming the cables were installed correctly; the description is a bit unclear.

Reactions: refillable
Jan 9, 2020
It's a possibility. You won't know until you properly breadboard. Considering you rested a motherboard awkwardly on top of standoffs to test, the motherboard most certainly was not handled carefully.

If, after testing this motherboard properly, you still get nothing, then I'd suspect a damaged motherboard and/or CPU. I'm assuming the cables were installed correctly; the description is a bit unclear.

How do I test the motherboard? Even the fans don't come on. I'm a bit wary about the CPU as I paid half the price it usually sells for and the box has tape over it saying 8320e but on the box it says 8370. Yes the cables are installed correctly. I've made sure multiple times.

Jan 9, 2020
Well, how is the motherboard currently installed?

On all the stand offs, main 16pin (not suren if it's 16 but the biggest cable (power) and separate attached 4 pin plug in the same slot. A cable from the case which I assume is how the buttons etc run from. CPU and SYS fan plugged in, audio plugged in, built in graphics, CPU power in Micro ATX. Please see my video in top post. There are cables from the case power and reset.. plugged in also led cables which I haven't plugged in.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
On all the stand offs, main 16pin (not suren if it's 16 but the biggest cable (power) and separate attached 4 pin plug in the same slot. A cable from the case which I assume is how the buttons etc run from. CPU and SYS fan plugged in, audio plugged in, built in graphics, CPU power in Micro ATX. Please see my video in top post. There are cables from the case power and reset.. plugged in also led cables which I haven't plugged in.

It's time to get it out of the case and breadboard it (the right way this time).

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...wn-to-the-basics-for-troubleshooting.1848255/

Jan 9, 2020
Should there be any signs that the motherboard is working in any sense, beeps, lights etc? The seller is adamant that the CPU was working with him and that he's an honest person. I'm tempted to buy a new mobo in case I somehow damaged it. Any thoughts?

Jan 9, 2020
Are you sure it's not the PSU? Usually, if the motherboard and the PSU is OK, there will still be signs like: fans spinning, debug LED blinking, etc. There is actually a good chance that the motherboard is broken.

The PSU is new, I can't see why there would be an issue there. I guess I'll buying a new mobo then.

Whatever, you can try this: take the MB out off the case, remove all the RAM, the boot device, connect only the 24-pin and the 8-pin power cables, use onboard AMD iGPU, boot up the PC.
  1. You can boot up the PC, and you will get no RAM, no boot device errors. That means either the cpu or MB works.
  2. Or you can't boot up the PC, that means either the CPU or MB has problem. Then if you still have other working cpu, try it with your MB.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
At this point, not much you can really do but either bring it to a PC store to test it (which might be difficult at this time) or buying parts to swap in and out. Unfortunately, the very real possibility that you may have destroyed one or more parts makes this a tricky rig to diagnose without spare parts or spare money.

If you start with a new motherboard, you might as well get something appropriate for a 125W CPU this time. The 760G chipset motherboards are notorious for cheap VRMs, resulting in the 125W AM3+ CPUs throttling at load. And if it's the CPU that's dead, get an FX-6300 if this motherboard isn't dead.