Question Can't boot into SSD with OS installed

aragorn1062

Commendable
Dec 12, 2017
The problem started yesterday when I wanted to make it dualboot with win7 and win10, but I wasn't able to shrink the volume even tho i had 70\120gb free, so I tried using 3rd party software (minitool partition wizard) to do that. I gave the new partition 25gb for win7, but it said a restart is required. I did that, but it was never able to boot back into the OS, so now I am looking for solutions... If nothing else works I will just reinstall win10 and backup all the important data from it, since it's still recognized. Does anyone have an idea what I should do?

Lutfij

Titan
Hate to break it to you but when you're going to reinstall the OS, the drive will be wiped clean hence you're not going to be able to retrieve anything from the drive that had the OS on it previously. FYI, I wouldn't do a dual boot on a single SSD since it's bad practice to create partitions on said SSD unless it's the partitions created by the OS installer during installation(system reserved, EFI system).

aragorn1062

Commendable
Dec 12, 2017
Hate to break it to you but when you're going to reinstall the OS, the drive will be wiped clean hence you're not going to be able to retrieve anything from the drive that had the OS on it previously. FYI, I wouldn't do a dual boot on a single SSD since it's bad practice to create partitions on said SSD unless it's the partitions created by the OS installer during installation(system reserved, EFI system).

I saved the data before I reinstalled OS, but I'm wondering, why do you think it's a bad practice to have dualboot on 1 SSD?

Do you get some error or what?
What's the error?

huwfm.jpg

I had the exact same message as shown here. After I saved all the useful data, I tried a few things, but in the end formatted the SSD by accident, so I just reinstalled the whole thing.

The error says - bootloader has invalid boot configuration.
Solution? Fix the bootloader.

Boot from windows 10 installation media into command prompt and use bcdboot command to fix bootloader.
bcdboot c:\windows /s h:
( C: - windows partition, H: - bootloader partition. Drive letters in windows recovery environment can be different. Bootloader partition may not have drive letter at all. Then you'd need to assign the drive letter manually.)

Note. You have windows 10 installed, so you have to use windows 10 installation media. With windows 7 installation media you won't be able to fix it.

aragorn1062

Commendable
Dec 12, 2017
The error says - bootloader has invalid boot configuration.
Solution? Fix the bootloader.

Boot from windows 10 installation media into command prompt and use bcdboot command to fix bootloader.
bcdboot c:\windows /s h:
( C: - windows partition, H: - bootloader partition. Drive letters in windows recovery environment can be different. Bootloader partition may not have drive letter at all. Then you'd need to assign the drive letter manually.)

Note. You have windows 10 installed, so you have to use windows 10 installation media. With windows 7 installation media you won't be able to fix it.

Damn, I learn something every day. Thanks for the help, man!