Jan 9, 2021
Recently, I upgraded my CPU which required a mobo + ram upgrade as well (was running ddr3 prior). I took out the hard drives and SSD setup I have. On my old computer, I had 1 SSD (256GB) with the OS and other useful applications, and 3 TB worth of HDDs. I have an ASRock b550 phantom gaming mini-itx. I took the SSD's and HDD and plugged them into my newer updated build and whenever I go to launch into windows it gives me an infinite loop of Attempting to repair (where it does nothing) and then restarts and just shows the ASRock logo. I then attempted to get some bootable media (USB with Windows 10 installer to repair). This did not work as when I plug it in it does the identical thing where it just halts at the ASRock logo. I don't know if I'm booting incorrectly with UEFI vs traditional legacy bios. I just want to game on my upgraded computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
My question is I have 1 ssd attached now that has my OS from my old computer and that won't boot. That's why I tried with the bootable USB and it just hangs on the windows logo. The SSD works perfectly fine on my old computer as I just took it out to use on this computer. Could this be a motherboard issue?

As I said above, getting an install that works on 1 PC to work fine on another is a gamble. Some times its fine, and PC just boots, sometimes it partially works, and others it just doesn't boot.

I am not sure what cause is right now.

had you been in bios prior to attaching the drives? Do you know it actually works? Did you change anything in the bios before attaching the drives? Did you add the ssd to the boot order for...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Trying to just launch windows on a new motherboard is always going to be a gamble. 3 things it can do
1. work fine
2, work but have problems
3. Not work at all.

you are on number 3

remove all drives except the one you want windows on
put USB in
Can you get into the bios?
if you can, remove any drives from boot order, maybe leave Windows Boot Manager if its a choice
Go to save & exit tab
Choose boot over ride
pick USB from listing and PC should restart and boot from USB. On the next startup it should use the SSD

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Jan 9, 2021
Trying to just launch windows on a new motherboard is always going to be a gamble. 3 things it can do
1. work fine
2, work but have problems
3. Not work at all.

you are on number 3

remove all drives except the one you want windows on
put USB in
Can you get into the bios?
if you can, remove any drives from boot order, maybe leave Windows Boot Manager if its a choice
Go to save & exit tab
Choose boot over ride
pick USB from listing and PC should restart and boot from USB. On the next startup it should use the SSD

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
Thank you. My question is I have 1 ssd attached now that has my OS from my old computer and that won't boot. That's why I tried with the bootable USB and it just hangs on the windows logo. The SSD works perfectly fine on my old computer as I just took it out to use on this computer. Could this be a motherboard issue?

Colif

Win 11 Master
My question is I have 1 ssd attached now that has my OS from my old computer and that won't boot. That's why I tried with the bootable USB and it just hangs on the windows logo. The SSD works perfectly fine on my old computer as I just took it out to use on this computer. Could this be a motherboard issue?

As I said above, getting an install that works on 1 PC to work fine on another is a gamble. Some times its fine, and PC just boots, sometimes it partially works, and others it just doesn't boot.

I am not sure what cause is right now.

had you been in bios prior to attaching the drives? Do you know it actually works? Did you change anything in the bios before attaching the drives? Did you add the ssd to the boot order for instance? Try resetting bios to defaults

A brand new motherboard should just boot off a USB if its attached at start up. You shouldn't have to do anything.

If you had a blank drive, we could test how it goes at startup but I am not suggesting wiping windows on ssd just yet since it works on old PC still and is only working windows. that would leave you with 2 problems to fix possibly.

I assume you not using an APU so I guess you can't remove GPU. Just thinking, try to remove as much as possible from PC when you start installing,.

shame motherboard doesn't have debugging led. I guess a bit much to expect on an ITX board.

what happens if you just have the USB attached? It should get past logo and then just restart.

what are specs of the PC?
How much ram? try installing with 1 stick attached and swap sticks, if you have 2, and see if you get any further.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 14, 2021
Thank you. My question is I have 1 ssd attached now that has my OS from my old computer and that won't boot. That's why I tried with the bootable USB and it just hangs on the windows logo. The SSD works perfectly fine on my old computer as I just took it out to use on this computer. Could this be a motherboard issue?

Apart from the more detailed response above, you should know that you can't just pullout a drive running on one computer and hotswap into another and just expect to game on your upgraded PC. It's essentially a new PC and you should treat it as such. Expect to reinstall everything so you're probably better off with an empty SSD/HDD if you have one, especially for use as a boot drive.

endryus

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
I'm having a similar problem with my new ASRock X570 Taichi. I can't install Windows10 at all, unless I disable all the onboard devices in the BIOS.
So, I can get to the desktop and the system works fine but I have no ethernet, no wi-fi and no onboard audio. Which really sucks, given this MB price tag.
Try this solution and let me know if it works.

Jan 14, 2021
I'm having a similar problem with my new ASRock X570 Taichi. I can't install Windows10 at all, unless I disable all the onboard devices in the BIOS.
So, I can get to the desktop and the system works fine but I have no ethernet, no wi-fi and no onboard audio. Which really sucks, given this MB price tag.
Try this solution and let me know if it works.

Did you also just plug in your old drive with running Windows into a new PC/motherboard?